[Artemisia] Pelican & Laurel - ask for them by name

Dame Rachel (Thaya Shaeffer) damethaya at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 2 07:49:16 CST 2003

Dearest Cousins,

With all due respect, and with full awareness of the kindly good humor intended, I respectfully ask that we all stop referring to the Highest - Most Nobel Orders of the Pelican and the Laurel as “Bird” and “Bush.”  The Arie is a public forum and there are many many reading our posts who are new, newly relocated, or finding us for the VERY first time and forming lasting impressions via our words on these public lists.  Many do not fully understand or know personally the sincere hearts behind the casual words, or understand the regional nuances to some of the gently intended humor as they are not personally aquinted with the gentles involved.

I almost never hear the Knights refer to their rank or Order in such an off handed way.  Although well meant and kindly, I think that this is a bad trend to be taking as it tends to diminish peoples attitudes towards the Orders themselves and the accomplishments of the recipients being so referred to.  Again, many do not know the Ladies in question, and thus do not know the full context of the humor involved.  These most Nobel Orders are already too often wrongly considered to be less important, less ranking, or less worthy of aspiring towards then Kinghood; in the minds of many who encounter or actively participate in the SCA.  Even though ALL of the Nobel Orders of Pelican, Laurel and Knight are equal and are actually in-fact ranks of Knighthood; it is just that the SCA chooses to name each Knightly Order with it's own separate distictive title to beter honor the particular acomplishments of the person.

We who are Nobility, must always be mindful of the high place we ever aspire too represent and the high ideals we take deep pride to do our best to emulate, knowing that we will alas to often too easily fall woefully short.  Thus by accepting this Order, we all have made a personal commitment to never forget our duty to our King, our Kingdom, and Her People, to hold up and put forth, in our words and deeds, always the highest example of what is honorable, exulted and highly valued in the SCA.  And thus I again humbly ask that we all stop immediately any referring to such Nobel ranks with (albeit well intentioned humor) terms which do in fact diminish the Orders, however temporarily, by chance said "seemingly harmless" off hand or casual remarks.

Again, knowning always that all is intended in good spirit, and with my highest accolades to our newest and most worthy members of the Nobel Order of the Pelican and the Laurel, I remain a faithful servant of Artemisia.

Shalom,

Dame Rachel

Dame Rachel Ravenlock, OP
mka: Thaya G. Shaeffer