[Artemisia] Genealogy also relates to persona research.

John Johnson yourguess03 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 3 16:33:28 CST 2003

> My grandfather was born circa 1891 and there is no birth record that
> anyone can find. He was born in TX, in a county that did not keep
> records.

A couple of places I would recommend is first the World War I Draft Registration Records that cover most men born in the US between 1870 to 1900.  If your grandfather also died between 1939 and 1963 I would write Social Security and find out whether he not he collected Social Security because often times people were required to have a local birth certificate created in their county of residence.

World War I records are available and there is a good collection of those records at the BYU Family History Center.  I am friends with a guy named Bruce ??? (When I worked for Broderbund/Ancestry) that created the WWI Death Index.  Plenty of good WWI information there and if you can get to Loch Salann I would encourage you to stop by Provo and see if you can see some of his cited research.  Might save you a trip to the National Archives.

> Which brings up the problem of persona research (to get this back
> onto a topic that might be useful here )

What got me doing genealogy was personna research.  At the Family History Libraries in Salt Lake and Provo there are several books that can be used if you know where to look.  Some of the books you can order via microfilm at your local Family History Library.

Michael