[Artemisia] Thought for discussion-

Godwin fitzGilbert de Striguil archergodwin at cableone.net
Thu Nov 6 07:03:33 CST 2003

> Godwin, your point brings up the ever-popular "if you think you deserve it,
> you probably don't" issue, I'd like to steer away from discussing it in
> first-person and lean heavily towards third-person [he/she deserves it
> because...]

Actually I was thinking that I was leaning heavily towards third person.
I may not have put it 'paper' accurately. I think I understand where you
want to go with this, but I think it does have to do with other's
opinions...that third person's opinion. (IMHO)

For heavy combatants, is Prowess only gauged by how many fights they
win, or how they won those fights? We do regularly recognize persons for
the amount of fights they fought. Sir Conrad's comment about Prowess
only being one third of making a Peer got me to thinking. Yes, I agree
with that.
Let's look at the scenario that his comment brought to my mind:
A belted fighter in a Crown list. (based on that I 'think' it is
possible for an non-Knighted fighter to enter a Crown List).
Now then it took aspects of all the Chivalric Virtues to get that person
there, but at that point in time, it is Prowess that will make that
person a Peer. (Royal Peer) Probably one of the few scenarios that pure
Prowess could do that.

For persons whose forte is A&S, same statement; is Prowess only gauged
by how many A&S events they win? Or how many they enter, or how many
masterpieces they have achieved?

For persons whose calling is service: is Prowess gauged by how well
planned their activities are, or how many times they have volunteered to
do 'X'?

It is almost a catch-22, because we who are not Peers can discuss this
till we are blue in the face, but until we become Peers, we will
probably not know just what it takes. I think one of the reasons is, if
persons in the Peerages were to say: "It takes 'X' to be a Peer", then
you might have people saying "well, I've done 'X', why am I not a Peer?"
-(conjecture on my part)-

But that's another reason for having several virtues to aspire to. IMHO,
  the "scores" that one person may achieve in each of the virtues, will
not be the same "scores" the next person achieves. However they both may
be made Peers in the same Peerage. (again, conjecture on my part).

Looking back over my scripting here, I see a "quality vs. quantity"
motif appearing, maybe that's the question I pose back.

Godwin