[Artemisia] Artemisia Card game

Bruce Padget bapadget at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 8 08:22:05 CST 2003

Well...getting technical, the Loch Salann deck (by
Dame Varia and Mistress Anne, as I recall -- I've
still got mine, and play with it regularly :D) was an
Italian or Spanish suit deck.  For Tarot you'd need
the 21 trumps and the Fool.  (Nowadays called the
"major arcana.")

Of course, if someone were to do a Tarot deck, the
trumps and Fool give you 22 more places to put
people/places/things of local significance.  (It would
also give you the delicate questions of whom to make
Death, the Devil, the Hanged Man, etc :D  This isn't
as delicate as some might think -- in period, the
Tarot deck was just another deck of playing cards.
I'd volunteer for the Fool, but then some would say
I'm overqualified for the job...)

Suits were not all that -- well, ok, not at all --
standardized pre-1600, so you have pretty broad
license to come up with suits appropriate to your
area.  (I've got pics of a 1470 circular deck from
Cologne where the suits are hares, parrots, pinks,
columbines, and roses.)  Hmmm... ermine spots,
peacocks, cranes and moose as suits? Add gryphons as a
fifth trump suit?  (Or for As Nas, a five-suited
Persian predecessor to poker?)

So, if someone with actual artistic talent (ie, other
than me...) is interested in pursuing this, get in
touch, and I'll be happy to give you a memory dump on
how to make it authentic and playable.

Regards,
Niccolo
Abbastanza Buon Non E Abbastanza Buono