[Artemisia] Anybody from Draca Mor?

HL Isabeau de Sevingy badsquire at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 19 09:13:05 CST 2003

It does, indeed, take some time to adjust to the truncated mountians. A few hours drive into So Utah will refresh the brain, as will a drive northeast to Montrose and Telluride beyond. Fine mountains, not as tall as the eastern board of the Sierras, but that's only because the base is already at higher elevation, but they certianly are pointy! The Book Cliffs out by Grand Junction are just odd, like they were ironed out flat, but they have their own unique appeal. Slick rock, best mountian biking around and Moab is just an hour away.

Greetings from follow Caidian ex-pats. Sir William Kyle of the Wilderness and HL Isabeau de Sevingy both live in Gryphon's Lair, just north of SLC. He left Caid in 96 and I left in 94 (though I was sequestered in college in 92 and 93) so I don't know if you've played long enough to remember him. Hardly anybody out there remembers me. At any rate, you'll find Artemisia a great place to play. You live in the extreme southeast corner of the Kingdom and drive times are not remotely close to Caid, but you'll adjust. Someday, you too can look back on whining about the 3 hour drive to Carreg Wen! :)

The area you live in has been fairly inactive for quite some time. There were awfully talented people there, but somewhere along the lines mundania took over their lives. I highly recommend you getting together with Oogie and contacting the Kingdom Seneschal for current updates and information on revitalizing the area. I also recommend that you get to know Loch Salann, as they are your closest large group and, in addition to holding events big enough to make the journey worthwhile, have a large enough population base to find crash space for events. It is about a 5-6 hour drive from Grand Junction and usually, you'll leave after work on Friday, arrive at crash space in SLC about 10-10:30pm. After attending the event and crashing a second night, the trip can be made more valuble (if you fight) by attending the Gryphon's Lair practice Sunday afternoon (it's 20 minutes north of SLC) and then leaving for home on about the same schedule of your trip up. You may balk at the 5-6 hour drive
 part, but remember you now live in a Kingdom where it's 20+ hours from the far southeast corner to the far northwest one.

The largest event in the kingdom is Uprising. Held at the beginning of every June, it is a camping event on the order of Potrero. With a draw of about 800 people, having a fairly large merchants row, heavy, rapier, archery and equestrian activities, it is well worth the drive up. The largest non-kingdom level court events are Solstice in SLC and Harvest Court in Missoula, Montana. Kingdom level events (Crown, Coronation, Collegium) are rotated around through the Kingdom, so they will get to the south end (at least as far as SLC) fairly often. Crown list is run a bit differently then Caid. Instead of Crown being held just six weeks before Coronation, here it is held five months before. So reigns here tend to be quite long. It's a year long commitment to win Crown.

The Kingdom is a fairly widely traveled one. Should you and Oogie succeed in getting the So Colo group/s active again, you will find that folks are willing to travel south to come play with you. Howvever, winter weather is a big consideration when planning travel around here. While the drive between SLC and Grand Junction is an easy one in the summer, there is one significant pass and several high desert plains that get snowbound. Storm warnings are taken quite seriously.

So, welcome to Artemisia, let us know if you need anything.

Isabeau
(who's just dabbling in cheesemaking)

Michael Packard <pastor at berighteous.com> wrote:
BLOCKQUOTE {	PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px}DL {	PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px}UL {	PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px}OL {	PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px}LI {	PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px}HI!
I'm in Grand Junction, where the two rivers meet, and where all the mountains are strangely flat on top.  Where I come from mountains are pointy on top, so it's taken time to get used to... =)

Michael