[Artemisia] Religion in the SCA (a new can of worms)

Erik Joramo niallsca at great-falls.net
Thu Nov 20 08:22:45 CST 2003

I believe that this subject was already Brought up in another venue, As i
understand the situation . Pennsic war a few years ago had site tokens with
a cross on them. it seems that some religions have a taboo concerning the
wearing of a symbol from a religion that is not their own.
Lord Niall Logan
Seneschal for Stan Wyrm
> Message: 5
> Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:44:37 -0800
> From: "Ken and Mindy Wilson" <kenandmindy at cableone.net>
> Subject: [Artemisia] Religion in the SCA (a new can of worms)
> Greetings friends,
> In the spirit of friendly discussion, I present the following topic:
> Is a cross medalion appropriate for a site token?
> This quandry comes up after finding cast pewter crosses in a bead catalog
> while pricing site tokens for an event bid.
> Please include a reasoning for your opinion, this isn't a poll, it's a
> discussion.
> -Marcello
>
> Message: 9
> Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 01:42:36 -0700
> From: "Wade" <scaguy at bresnan.net>
> Subject: Re: [Artemisia] Religion in the SCA (a new can of worms)
> <artemisia at lists.gallowglass.org>
>
> hmm,
>
> > Is a cross medalion appropriate for a site token?
>
> Then is a cross appropriate for display in heraldry?
> The cross is inherently period for Europeans. If someone finds offense
> because of any period religious symbol then they are to uptight.
> Displaying said sysmbols may or may not be a statement of faith. What do I
> care what they believe or don't. Displaying is not preaching.
> As long as they are not preaching who cares what the symbol is if it adds
> the flavor and realism.
>

> Andrew <the little known>of Doune Castle

---