[Artemisia] crosses in heraldry

Sondra Gibson sgibson at edulog.com
Thu Nov 20 09:43:25 CST 2003

Personally, I don't like it.  I do not like seeing *any* well known
religious symbol used as either an award or a token.  (no matter what the
historic usage was)  On the other hand, I don't recall seeing the award
token for the Key Cross. What does it look like?

(By the way, I have *no* problem with any period religious symbols being
used in personal heraldry.  After all, that is meant to represent *you*, and
you are not expecting anyone else to *wear* it.)

Gefjon

I am not sure if I have an opinion about the "cross as site token" thing.
As for the cross in heraldry... I believe it is a way for people to flesh
out their personas. After all, many people have Christian personas. I think
to say "you can't use a cross" is foolish, as long as you are talking about
individuals. Groups are another story.

Which brings me to an interesting question.

How do you all feel about the fact that the Kingdom Grant Level Arts award
is called the Order of the Key Cross (since the original Sable Keys in Cross
was unregisterable)? The key cross is one heraldic representation of the
cross.

Opinions? Not that it will change things, but I am curious. Feel free to
respond privately if you would rather.

HL Theodora