[Artemisia] Religion 'n' SCA/Site Tokens/Faith

HL Isabeau de Sevingy badsquire at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 20 10:12:41 CST 2003

Cool idea providing a few alternative site tolkens. Neatly takes care of all potential concerns and allows for some more spiffy site tolkens to be used..

As for Conrads 'transgressions' as Baron, it actually illustrates my point. By the letter of Corpora, his acts were not wrong. However, some folks there had a sense that they were 'illegal' but 'interesting', because it has become common practice to avoid such activities. The battelfield prayer being my favorite example. Participating in pre-conflict prayer, regardless of ones personal beliefs, can lead to one of the fabled 'I was really THERE' moments one hears about in the SCA. However, my point was actually just that it could be considered 'inappropriate' by common practice, not that it would be 'illegal' by the letter of Corpora.

And Conrad, I could never feel that you had jumped on me, unless I was in armour and you actually did. You and I have always had seemingly differing views, that in reality are actually supportive of each others ideas and ideals. *grin*

Isabeau

"Chuck Heisler Jr." <conradvz at yahoo.com> wrote:
<SNIP>We try and provide vegetarian options at feasts, if you find cool pewter crosses, go ahead and get them.  Buy a few pewter dolphins (or something) for the people who'd rather not wear a cross.

Now, as for the following 'regulations' listed below, I have fairly routinely violated these (although, as Baron, I chose to use 'by the Grace of God') including holding a prayer on the battlefield for those willing to attend.  The SCA did not, I notice, screech to a halt.  Nor did anyone seem terribly offended.  At least they didn't say anything to me about it except that they didn't think it was 'legal' (although they found it interesting).  Most active participants seem excited.  The most moving religious experience I've had in twenty years I had on the battlefield of Pennsic a few years ago.

<SNIP>P.S.  I'm not jumping on HL Isabeau here, she just inspired me by suggesting (indirectly) that I've been breaking the rules.  Big surprise!!  :)