[Artemisia] Religion in the SCA (a new can of worms)

Morgan Wolf morganwolf at sofast.net
Thu Nov 20 12:20:43 CST 2003

three points-

1)  I ask that each and every one of those who say it should not be a big deal to have a cross as a site token stop, consider how your feelings would change if the token in question were a Star of David or yarmulke, and reconsider your answer.

2)  Conrad, I love you dearly, you're one of the best friends I've ever had, and one of the best men I've ever known.  Keep that in mind when you read the following- you are a yutz.  :-)Yule is a term used in connection with Christmas for centuries, therefore not "pagan" any longer, and solstice is term describing the longest/shortest day of the year, not a religious term.  The fact that some people at various points in history have held religious celebrations on those dates doesn't change them.  Having a religious celebration on Dec 25 doesn't make ALL functions on Dec 25 religious.

3) symbols are only as important as we make them, if presented a cross for a site token, I'd do what I always do- hang it from my belt for the event, ignore it, put it away when I get home.

Morgan Blaidd Du
Protege and Ghillie to
Baron James Ulrich MacKellar and
Baroness Rachel Ashton