[Artemisia] Religion in the SCA/Three Answers

Chuck Heisler Jr. conradvz at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 20 12:10:09 CST 2003

Hi Morgan and Aerie,

"1)  I ask that each and every one of those who say it should not be a big deal to have a cross as a site token stop, consider how your feelings would change if the token in question were a Star of David or yarmulke, and reconsider your answer."

I think I answered this question, but I'll answer it again.  A token is a token, I've happily toted my 'thor's hammer', my fish, and my other tokens around to prove I was on site.  I wouldn't care if it were the Star of David, the Crescent or the hammer and sickle if thats what they are giving me.  If I did have some objection, I'd expect an alternative or at least understanding if I want to put the token away.  If you don't want to wear a site token (and sometimes I don't) then carry it somewhere and pitch it when you're done.  I think that too much is being made over too little in this case.  Which would lead us to point three below if only there were no point two.  But, alas, there is.

"2) Conrad, I love you dearly, you're one of the best friends I've ever had, and one of the best men I've ever known.  Keep that in mind when you read the following- you are a yutz.  :-)Yule is a term used in connection with Christmas for centuries, therefore not "pagan" any longer, and solstice is term describing the longest/shortest day of the year, not a religious term.  The fact that some people at various points in history have held religious celebrations on those dates doesn't change them.  Having a religious celebration on Dec 25 doesn't make ALL functions on Dec 25 religious."

Now, its possible I'm a yutz, but those were, are and will be celebrated as pagan holidays.  And you know it.  To imply that those days are not still sacred to many religions (Pagan and otherwise) is disengenous in my opinion. Why not call those scheduled events 'Fall' or 'Harvest' or 'Winter' etc.  That would serve the same function.

To say that a phrase or symbol has lost its power just because its in common usage seems to defeat your argument.  The Cross is in common usage to represent all kinds of sects of Christianity and to represent holy places, and 'Christian' has come to mean 'nice' or 'friendly' and yet I see those terms and symbols being castigated in the SCA all the time.

But thats not my point.  My point is that everything can offend someone.  Would anyone care if I were offended by those events?  Probably not. But as a  'Christian', I am daily offended by the nonsensical and even laughably hypocritical treatment of 'religion' in the SCA.

And by the way, December 25th is Mithramas, a pagan holiday.  Just in case you think I wasn't paying attention.

3) symbols are only as important as we make them, if presented a cross for a site token, I'd do what I always do- hang it from my belt for the event, ignore it, put it away when I get home.

This is a very sensible point and I agree with it completely.  If only everyone felt the same way we wouldn't even be discussing this.

Sincerely,
CvZ