[Artemisia] religious symbols in armory

Bob Upson wyvern at megahits.com
Mon Nov 24 06:51:24 CST 2003

On 23 Nov 2003 at 19:57, Chuck Heisler Jr. wrote:

>     Here's another question. Someone said that the swastika was a
>     prohibited
>     charge in SCA heraldry. It is my understanding that a while back
>     (can't
>     remember when, but recently in dog years) a lady had a submission
>     bounced by
>     the College of Arms because it contained a pentagram (pentacle.) At
>     first
>     glance, this looks like blatant discrimination, since there are so
>     many

<lurk=off>

The College of Heralds won't register pentacles and pentagrams under
the "offensive armory" clause.  (It won't register blatantly
Christian armory either.)

This isn't so much a judgement on meanings associated with symbols in
period as it is a practical assessment of how some symbols are
regarded today.  (BTW, in period, the pentacle was a Christian
symbol.  It's association with assorted branches of paganism didn't
come about until the 19th century.)

Macsen
old used up herald

<lurk=on>