[Artemisia] Arts and Sciences Dates

LadyPDC at aol.com LadyPDC at aol.com
Mon Nov 24 19:56:59 CST 2003

In a message dated 11/24/2003 5:40:03 PM Mountain Standard Time,
jo_foster81 at hotmail.com writes:
If m'lady would like an instance where Collegium was not attainable due to
weather... last collegium was it ...  I was scheduled to teach card weaving
and bobbin lace ... and was not able to make it because two of the five
passes between me and there were closed.   Hey ... it happens...   but I
don't have a preference for summer winter, spring or fall dates.  If the
weather will allow, I go ... if the weather will not allow, I stay home and
boob a lot.
And another instance would be Collegium about three years ago in Great Falls,
MT.  Though it was a nice collegium and we did manage to attend, it was a
fearful trip I would not willingly make again as there was a blizzard both ways.
The weather was so cold in Great Falls that the snow squeaked when you walked
on it and we had to thaw the cooking oil I brought for one of the classes as
it had frozen solid just sitting in the car.

Since you are talking of the regional competitions being truly "regional" and
since distance can be a problem esp. in bad weather, it seems to me that it
would be more sensible to hold the regional competitions when there is even a
possibility of bad weather and hold the kingdom competition when you have the
best possibility of good travel weather.  After all, it is a much simpler thing
to reschedule a regional event as people don't have to make such elaborate
plans to reach a destination that is closer to them.  Changing plans that
involve a day or more of travel each way is much more difficult.  Also, people are
much more willing to travel over known roads even when the weather is a bit
more chancy.  Taking on an unknown road in chancy weather is not only frightening
but also more dangerous.

Anyway, my tuppence into the pot.

Lady Constance de la Rose
Barony of Loch Salann