[Artemisia] Arrows Flight status, and other answers

Sue / KyneWynn kynewynn at iglide.net
Mon Nov 24 18:53:42 CST 2003

Greetings Good Gentles,
My missive is written as a mini history lesson and to perhaps clear a few misperceptions about Arrows' Flight . . .
I've been in the College for the last 10 years, and have seen a lot of people come and go, (so many times I've taught someone to fight with Rapier,  just to have them move to another group, sigh;  -oh well the Arte of Defence is being spread to new area's,  right!? ) I have taken a couple of sabbaticals myself when mundania has interfered with my fun. . . but back to my missive.

Before it was a "College, Arrows' Flight was a "Canton", (a group that is under the sponsorship of a larger group, in our case, the Barony of Loch Salan).   We switched from Canton to College because for some time many of our numbers were made up from the student population (BYU and UVSC).  A college is like a shire, but has some leeway built into it's governance to accomodate fluctuating numbers.  The demographics of our group are changing yet again. More people are playing who are not students, some of the old-timers are joining us once again, new people are playing, etc.  This is apparently prompting the thought among some of us of changing  our status to shire.  The posting here by Morgan  is the first I've heard of some member's wanting to change our status -- but then mundania has been trying to eat me lately, but not quite succeeding,  so I've been a wee bit out of the loop!  I do hope to make it to Solstice. :)

The area has been through a series of names since it was first started, I believe in the early seventies.  The ones I know are: the Incipient Shire of Coracal, (AS 14) -- then changed to Denu Shaw (Valley of the Trees), then Dunna Mirth (Happy Valley),  followed by Cun Mythlem, and in mid AS 23, to Amythyst Vale.  I'm not sure when it was changed to the Canton of Arrows' Flight, but has been known by that name since I moved here from 1000 Eyes in 1993.

Tangl thank you for the information, and the "voice of experience"   It is helpful to have that sort of knowlege, when looking at  perhaps changing.
YIS,
Lady KyneWynn the Kind
College of Arrows' Flight