[Artemisia] Arts and Sciences Dates

Sondra Gibson sgibson at edulog.com
Tue Nov 25 13:02:56 CST 2003

 Lady Constance de la Rose wrote:

 And another instance would be Collegium about three years ago in Great
Falls, MT.  Though it was a nice collegium and we did manage to attend, it
was a fearful trip I would not willingly make again as there was a blizzard
both ways.  The weather was so cold in Great Falls that the snow squeaked
when you walked on it and we had to thaw the cooking oil I brought for one
of the classes as it had frozen solid just sitting in the car.

I agree, that was a slippery trip.  But - if you limit yourself to only
doing large kingdom events when we can be sure of good weather, you pretty
much eliminate mid Oct through the end of May.  I have seen storms make
travel hazardous at *many* times of year.   (I remember a *huge* snowstorm
in mid May!)

The calendar was set last spring.  There are those who have planned their
schedules around it.  I really think we should leave it alone this year, and
see how it works.   Makes no sense to me to hold Kingdom Competition before
Regionals.  That defeats the purpose.   Why set things back another year,
when many have worked hard to improve our arts and science program?

As it is now, Regionals are set for April 30th, Collegium for Aug. 6th, and
Kingdom Competition for Nov. 5th.  There is really no more chance of bad
weather on Nov. 5th than there is on April 30th.

Gefjon