[Artemisia] Re: [Aerie] reconize those..

Carolyn James majikpen13 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 9 18:18:07 CDT 2003

I just thought I would through another analogy into the mix:

I am (sort of) a writer, so I'll make a writing analogy.

If you expect the first thing you write to be published, you're only setting yourself up for dissapointment. Even the best writers out there got more rejections than acceptances.

However, if you don't submit anything or let people know what you're doing, you'll never get published.

More than likely you'll do a lot of really good work that goes unnoticed, and if you let it get you down, you might actually stop doing the good work out of despair. No one wants that.

However, when you do finally get published (which might or might not happen if you keep trying at it, but will never happen if you don't) you just might get that recognition for the things you did before, that did not get recognized.

(As Calvin-and-Hobbes as this sounds) that thankless work and endless time waiting builds character, and it will make you a better person if you let it, regardless of whether other people notice. If they let anyone get published on their first try, they would be denied both the peace of mind knowing that they truely earned it, and they would be taking something from the people who worked much harder than they to get it.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: If you write just to get published, you are wasting your time. If you don't enjoy writing, why should you care if you aren't published? You should never be doing the work, helping people, and being a good person just to get an award for it. You are a fraud if you do. You should do it because it is right and because you enjoy it and because it makes you feel good. That's what it comes down to: Whether you get the award or not, you know that you worked hard and did your best. Write because you love to write, not for the recognition.

Branwyn Pengrych, Barony of Sentinal's Keep
Writing since I was twelve, unpublished, and completely unconcerned.

sca_redhawk <redhawk at bresnan.net> wrote:
Greetings good Mistress Casamira
you have a very good way with words.  yes, i agree.. all of us must
be the eyes
and ears of the crown.
it would be nice if there was a system to where things people do ,
volunteering
ect, could be track so that everyone has a fair and equal opportunity
receive recognition.  i know some folks are going to say we are re
inacting
medieval times where things were often not fair or equal.  however,
we are re
in acting the better parts of the meieval times.
i am not sure how awards ect are finianced but i am betting it is
through
memebership dues.  so, they are bought by the people for the people.
if awards
were more freely given instead of horded for the chosen few, i am
betting we
wouldn't loose members as we have recently.  there also would be a
higher
attendance at court.  maybe we could have a reign that could have
their people
do a little research into shires/baroneys to find out who hasn't been
reconized

instead of, how was that put.. master master something of the heavy
neck of to
many awards.. however it was stated, it made me crack up with
laughter and it
was very well put..
In Service to OUR Kindom of Artemisia..
Rehawk..