[Artemisia] Re: [Aerie] Identify those making a contribution

valeria_maior valeria_maior at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 10 00:15:43 CDT 2003

Greetings

--- In artemisia at yahoogroups.com, redhawk at b... wrote:
> Greetings good Mistress Casamira
> you have a very good way with words.  yes, i agree.. all of us must
be the eyes
> and ears of the crown.
> it would be nice if there was a system to where things people do ,
volunteering
> ect, could be track so that everyone has a fair and equal
opportunity to
> receive recognition.

With respect, no.  Have you any idea how much paperwork that would
entail?  Do *you* want to spend your recreational time doing
paperwork, and listening to complaints when you make a mistake?  Ask
your local reeve, seneschal and herald how much fun it is to keep
track of paper and send in reports.  Better yet, volunteer to help
them.  We already track volunteer hours at large events and recognize
groups for the time their members spend volunteering, and that in
itself is a big job.  If you want people given recognition, pick up a
pen and write a recommendation for them.  Ruling monarchs have enough
responsibilities.

Keep in mind that kingdom awards are almost always given to people
who travel and play kingdom wide, and/or who give service to the
whole kingdom, and who are paid members.  Artemisia has always been a
pay-to-play kingdom, that's one of the ways we got to be a kingdom in
the first place.  The reward you get for playing and serving in your
local group is to *have* a local group capable of hosting events.

i know some folks are going to say we are re inacting
> medieval times where things were often not fair or equal.  however,
we are re
> in acting the better parts of the meieval times.
> i am not sure how awards ect are finianced but i am betting it is
through
> memebership dues.  so, they are bought by the people for the
people.

The physical symbols representing awards (belts, cloaks, badges,
medallions and so on) are most often made or purchased by the
household, friends, or peerage of the recipient.

if awards
> were more freely given instead of horded for the chosen few, i am
betting we
> wouldn't loose members as we have recently.  there also would be a
higher
> attendance at court.  maybe we could have a reign that could have
their people
> do a little research into shires/baroneys to find out who hasn't
been reconized (rest snipper for brevity)

Again, it is the members' job to write recommendations.  I assume
that you are writing of service awards, because fighting and arts and
sciences awards are less mysterious.  The people in a local group are
the ones in a position to know who is actually working in the local
group.

Our drop in numbers has to do with economics, and we will recover as
the economy recovers in our region.  Our mundane population is
smaller than other areas, so any economic downturn affects us more
than more populated areas.  We also need to work harder at recruiting
than other places.

If you can afford to pay for a membership, you are honor-bound to do
so, whether you fight or not.  The reward will be to have a kingdom
that doesn't require a twenty hour trip to see coronation.

I remain,
your obedient servant,
Jehane (I remember when we were part of Atenveldt) de Saint Michael
I bear the arms "Per pale gules and argent a bordure indented sable."

(I deleted my old account and made a new one.  Maybe this will go
through now.)

Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!