[Artemisia] [Aerie] RE: Idendifing those who serve.

rapierfghtr Rapierfghtr at AOL.com
Fri Oct 10 20:56:23 CDT 2003

Greetings,
           Its clear to me after reading the list that the brunt of
the problem seems to be "economics" and situations surrounding out
area of the kingdom. I also seems to me that the discussion of awards
is prominent, and the loss of people in the SCA is due to lack of
recognition by members of high standing.
           It also is clear to me that blame is a two way door.
Through wich one may pass freely, to do so responsibly and accept
what is to come is one of the true marks of honor. I too have seen
the best of people in service, at events and at home when event
season up here is at a stand still. True there should be a way to
spotlight those who do for others, and I agree there are many who
deserve. But many a time I have seen those less deserving get an
award or honorable mention, its sickening and to those who aspire to
do good,it is quite disheartening. So it is no wonder we have a loss
in number, not just from new people, but also loss of people who have
played for years.
      As with anything else in this life, if you truly enjoy
something you will aspire to do it well, and help others who wish to
do the same. This has not been a focus of late and many have become
disenchanted with the ideal of "the dream". To regain that will take
work and time, not just from those behind the scenes, but those who
would be kings and queens, and those who hold the kingdom in high
regaurd. Those who wish for an award will work for it, those who want
to complain will. Those who do lead, those who don't follow.
       So make mention of those people, and let thier names be known.
Not just in quite whispers, but loud greatful voices. If thier choice
is to accept recognition, then it should be done. If not then they
have choosen to stay out of the spotlight, that is for them to
decide. Never though,should an award be a gauge of service given out
of guilt, pitty, or coat-tail ridding. In the end its not economics,
mention of deeds done, or even who you know. These things however
seems to ge the way of it,and thats why numbers drop. My two cents,
for what its worth.

Yours in service of the dream
Lyon MacKeegan
Bronzehelm, Kingdom of Artemisia