[Artemisia] [Aerie] Re: Identifing those who serve

Theodora (AKA Rachael) ladythea at myway.com
Fri Oct 10 21:52:40 CDT 2003

I feel strongly about the issue of recognizing service and
achievement.  I do *not*, however, feel that an award from the
Crown is the only way to do so.  I cherish the awards that have
been given to me, don't get me wrong.  However, I also cherish
the times that someone that is not a peer and does not wear a
hat has bothered to take the time to recognize me in their own way.
Because I was inspired by these "unofficial" gestures, I have
tried to make a habit of doing so myself. If I see an act of
kindness or service being done, it is my responsibility to
recognize it, say something to the person, and then, if
appropriate, write a letter to the Crown.

Everyone appreciates "warm fuzzies" - it is human nature.

It is also human nature to want recognition from those who are in
a position to do so publicly.  That doesn't mean you will always
get it.

Sometimes the most deserving people are unwilling to put
themselves in a position to get recognition for fear of being
seen as a brown noser.  Other people are brown-nosers and do things
just when "people that count" are looking.  I would imagine that most
Kings and Queens like to make sure they are giving awards to the
former and not the latter.  And they don't know everyone.  The
people that know them should be writing letters, so when the royalty
shows up at an event, they will already know the person's history
of service, etc.  Then they know what category they fit into.

In the SCA it seems like we do expect more kindness and courtesy
than we expect in our daily lives.  In order to receive these things,
we *all* need to be willing to give them.  An award from the Crown,
people who may or may not know you, doesn't always have the same
effect as courtesies shown between members of a local group, etc.

Thea
(Theodora of Trebizond, Barony of Sentinels' Keep)