[Artemisia] Using the OP (was Re: Letters of Rec)

El Hermoso Dormido ElHermosoDormido+aerie at dogphilosophy.net
Mon Oct 20 13:22:50 CDT 2003

Responded to privately, but there's a public side to this, too:

As far as RECENT (the last month or so) issues, I've been extremely distracted
by 'real world' issues of employment, so I apologize sincerely to people I've
been slow in responding to during this time.  As to the incompleteness of
the OP in general, though:

As HL Theodora has mentioned, I am, officially, supposed to at LEAST have
some sort of 'proof' for every award that goes into the OP.  (I BELIEVE
that also the official OP is SUPPOSED to only include registered names, though
I've been completely ignoring that, since with the number of unregistered
names that get awards, the usefulness of the OP would be greatly hindered if
it were enforced).  NORMALLY this 'proof' is in the form of a court report
form, but these only arrive here infrequently (Note to heralds - there is
currently a crude but simple online version of a court report form available -
if you'd like to try it out and comment on it,  please let me know.  It
doesn't [yet!] REPLACE a 'real' court report, but it provides a way to get
the report information to me quickly without the hassle of postage and/or
waiting to try to catch me at an event).  And, yes, I apply the same standards
to myself - I personally recieved an award this July, but it didn't go into
the OP until just a few weeks ago when I got the court report (despite the
fact that it was only me on it.  Fair's fair.)

An obvious form of 'proof' is a copy of a scroll, though I recognize that this
is a pain to provide sometimes.  Until I am told otherwise, I am assuming I
can accept simple confirmation from either an 'official herald' (preferably
the reporting herald, but I don't think it HAS to be) OR from the persons
who gave out the award as well.

Harking back to the "registered names only" issue, while I have assumed
that it's not necessary to enforce this, I DO need some sort of name by
which I can cross-reference when the persona name changes - ESPECIALLY when
the person getting the award has no entry in the OP at all.  A "minimally
complete" record for a 'new' person needs three things:
1)Persona name (obviously) - but please be as complete here as possible - I
DON'T actually personally know everyone in artemisia, and may NOT know who
"Meg" is....

2)Local Group - especially for cross-referencing when Persona is mispelled or
partial on reports, this makes it possible to track down the existing entry

3)a 'regular name'...OR confirmation that the Persona name is REGISTERED
and spelled correctly.  'regular name' doesn't have to be the name on the
person's driver's license or birth certificate or anthing official of the
sort, just a name that is likely to be recognizeable and not likely to change
much.  That way when Sir JoeSchmoe gets his first award as "Shumo Joehiro"
during a "Japanese Alternate Persona" phase, I can still find his correct
entry in the OP to add the award (rather than ending up accidentally with his
award showing up on a bogus 'new' persona record).  A 'registered name', being
fairly static, can also serve this role (so the report form might just say
"Shumo Joehiro(Sir JoeSchmoe)".)

Incidentally, I want to take a moment here to publically thank Christina Riker
of Dragonmarch for her last court report form, which included every single
piece of information that I needed to put everyone on it into the OP.  THANK
YOU!

The one other issue that occasionally comes up is awards that don't exist in
the database at all yet.  In those cases I need to find out the 'official'
name for the award, its precedence (or simply 'what it's equivalent to',
precedentially speaking), and preferably what it's "for".

(Recent example - "Golden Sun in Splendor" doesn't appear to be in the
database, though "Sable Sun in Splendor" does.  Is the "Golden Sun" a new
award, separate from the Sable one, or has the name of the Sable Sun changed?
Another example, recently resolved, is the 'Order of the Yggdrasil' from Arn
Hold.)

I made 18 attempts over the space of two weeks to post one other request for
information that I needed to the Aerie, but NONE of them got through.  Now
that we have a working list again, I'll post that again separately, but
in summary, what I REALLY need is persona information for people who don't
show up in the OP at all, even if they don't have awards yet - that way when
they get their first award, I don't end up trying to track down who 20
different partial-persona-names are when the court reports come in...

Mistress Shauna, incidentally, has been sending me updates on the An Tir
OP, and they seem to be pulling ahead of us in features.  I am filled with
shame!  But have no fear, my 'real world' situation ought to be settling down
in the next week, and I can hopefully get on with catching up to them
and adding further features.  (Nothing like friendly competition to
improve everything, I think...)  I see they've beaten me to "alias tracking" -
CURSES!

signed,
El Hermoso Dormido, suffering from exhaustipation and in need of relaxatives.