[Artemisia] Awards, Power, and Precieved Doom

Jeff Shultz jeffreyashultz at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 21 09:47:45 CDT 2003

   Wow! I got a message through! Anyhow, I have been  following all
this award stuff and how we as a society are not gaining new members etc.
The first thought I had was why are awards so important? When we first
approached this game few if any of us knew about these awards and
titles yet we still wanted to play. I have been in the SCA for about 10
years now and have received several awards from a few kingdoms. What I
remember most though is not getting a scroll, cord, or even being named a
Fyrdman of Calontir.....what I cherish most is the memories that I have
made with people that I enjoyed sharing adventures and knowledge with.
I also hold more dear a tunic that a friend made for me than a scroll
handed down by someone who "knows" my face. I think to get and hold on
to new members we should do more to make them think this is where it's
at without diminishing the importance of Our awards. Wouldn't't have
been cool if someone came up to you at one of your first events and gave
you
 something very simple yet very period( a simple tunic with a single
row of embroidery or, ugh!, trim). This happened to me and as a part of
repayment to the person whom gifted it to me I made a newbie a simple
pair of one piece shoes. We could all do this at some level and I bet the
numbers would grow. People will Always get overlooked for awards but no
one should overlook the fun we have hear. Politics suck now just like
they did in Charlemagne's court so I guess we should deal with it and
move on. I love this game and the family I have made in it.

Peace,
Alexius

"What ever happened to the not for profit historical education group I
signed on for anyway?"  A period mavin......me