[Artemisia] Re: Good Greetings

Julia H. West julia.west at sff.net
Wed Oct 22 01:49:28 CDT 2003

And greetings again, good gentles, from Rhonwen y Llysieuyddes

> From: ravenmacleod at comcast.net
>
> Hello Rhonwen, and welcome back,

Thanks!

> It is interesting that these same discussions are being had and information is being rehashed. You are right about the fact that SCA members tend to come and go. However the Aerie list is by no means a gripe fest. While discussions can get heated there are many informative and exciting things that have been and will be discussed and at times event the arguments are informative.

Of course, after I posted I read two digests with good informative stuff, so I can see that it is useful!  (And interesting.)  I'm especially interested in the talk about the online OP, as I was a herald for so long.  My health probably won't let me hold an office now, but I still have the interest. . . .

> I have not had a chance to meet you yet. Have you been to fighter practice? Please let me know if there is any way that I can assist you in getting started again.

You probably met me last spring, when fighter practices were at Kearns High.  I couldn't get to the fighter practices in the park (my husband works nights and so I don't have a car to get uptown), but Kearns High is a mile from my house, so I hope to be there tomorrow!  (I ran into Duke Sean while I was at Kearns for parent-teacher conferences, so I know fighter practice is back there again.  Fun factoid--I remember Sean as a "baby squire.")  I did attend Baroness's Champion/A&S, but spent most of my time babytending an obnoxious (and rather shy) teenager, so couldn't get to meet and talk to people like I wanted to.  I did talk to Lady Saige for a while--very nice lady.

I probably won't have the kids with me Wednesday, so I'll come over and say "hi!"

> From: "Sue / KyneWynn"
>
> Greetings, and I'm glad you're back. . . there is that bit about those who
> don't study history are bound to repeat it,  maybe that's what's happening
> on the Aerie ;)

Thanks so much!  I am enjoying the events I make it to.  (The whole family attended Uprising in June and we were vastly impressed about how "civilized" outdoors events are now!  =Showers= yet!)

As for history repeating itself, very true (although I bet the politics in Artemisia aren't nearly as vicious as the Atenveldt politics used to be).  In the years I was in the Society before, I saw it over and over.  Sigh.  Some people love politics, and some enjoy arguments.  Myself, I like to re-create the Days of Chivalry and enjoy pageantry and color and the sense of wonder that can come with a really fine event.

 -- As for what to do,  Arrows' Flight, your neighboring area
> (Provo)  has Toys for Tots coming up November 1st,  we'd love to have you
> come. --

We're planning on it!  My sister lives in American Fork, so it's in her back yard (so to speak {grin}).  It sounds like you've got stuff for kids (boffer tourney), and my girls, although they don't know much about fighting, enjoy what they've done.

> PS:  Deadline for Feast Reservations is fast approachin (October 27th).

We'll have to see how finances go. . . .

Hir oes y dedwyddwch,

Meistres Rhonwen y Llysieuyddes