[Artemisia] Challenge Coins

Jeff Shultz jeffreyashultz at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 22 15:31:57 CDT 2003

And I think that a written scroll is a good idea too. The token thing is just an idea. Like I said before each of us can do something like that in our own ways. Giving Coins is period and can be documented as prizes in contests etc. As far as period peers go: Dukes and nobility would have their own faces or arms on coins etc. I am totally with you on not everything needs to be Awarded. I would like to see less awards since we are ALL nobles in the SCA context. I think people are looking for rewards for there deeds instead of doing it for the activity itself. Ego's must be stroked I guess. As for mundanely.....this is a historic recreation group not a study group on the middle ages! I like the fact the you are replying to these posts as all shared ideas lead to the betterment of OUR Society,
Alexius

NOT SAYING THAT THE TOKEN IDEA ISN'T A good/GREAT ONE but...

Any documentation on hand out tokens by period peers?  While it might seem period-like I don't think the practice can be documented (or if it would be a stretch at best).  The spirit of awards really are meant to be given out by the Crown and Coronets and the token is just a substitute for the problem of people not being recognized.  I still like the idea but you are opening a can of worms because what happens if "I" (or anybody else) want to do something similar, are you going to get in the Circlet kind of argument.

While I think awards are great you don't need to award everything where a simple "Thank You note" is plain and simple is good ettiquite.  Think about it in mundane life.

Michael

Jeff Shultz <jeffreyashultz at yahoo.com> wrote:
Heaven Forbid that we make a more period choice in this Society!

Wayne Hamberg <michaeltheloud at yahoo.com> wrote:
Any kind of written show of apprecitation is less period but if personalized will be remembered longer and appreciated more.  I have done many events in the mundane world and have found that a nicely worded "Thank You" gets a higher percentage of people returning to do the next event than if you give a gift.

Don't believe me, try it a few times and see what happens a year down the road.  Autocrat an event and write a personal thank you to those that helped you and see how many people volunteer for your next event without you even having to ask.  When you don't write the "Thank You" you end up losing out by people be relucent or refusing to help out again.

Michael

PS> Coming from somebody that has tropheys, medals, ribbons and patches in boxes
       just gathering dust.