[Artemisia] Challenge Coins

Tim Brunson simply_tim at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 22 19:04:14 CDT 2003

Good Gentles,

I've been following this thread and I would have a few
comments.

I DO NOT understand this obsession with awards. I have
some, and they were wonderful to receive, but that was
not WHY I was there.

I understand that awards are out there, but is that
really why we play? I think I could take a fraction of
the money I spend in the SCA, donate it to causes of a
charitable nature and get all kinds of do-dads to hang
around my apartment or neck. One's that are more
universally accepted and recognizable than what are
given by the SCA. I've got my two gallon pin, and
didn't spend a cent.

I realize that it is too easy for this to become a
contest of who has what, but is that really the point?
I can't remember ever packing up my vehicle, loading
my wallet with cash to blow, and setting out for the
road to an event specifically to try and qualify for
an award. That's insane.

The awards are out there, and this is MY opinion, to
acknowledge desirable behavior that will maybe
encourage like behavior and therefore maybe further
the participation and purpose of the SCA as a whole.

If I am *so unlucky* as to have to go to an event,
fight until I'm perma-grinned, and socialize with
wonderful people I've come to consider family.. gosh,
what a terrible thing.

If you're after awards, you're missing so much.

Thomas

=====
That which doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger.

"It's just an operating system, not a religion" - John Gowin