[Artemisia] Challenge Coins (long)

Kay Moore arrowyn at msn.com
Wed Oct 22 19:09:18 CDT 2003

>From: Wayne Hamberg <michaeltheloud at yahoo.com>

>I do like the token idea as I've seen it in other kingdoms that I've played
>in and suggested a similar idea last year.  It has real possibilities but
>there are some associated nightmares.

Why would anyone have a problem with others thanking people for their
efforts??  If someone (anyone) wanted to hand out some type of coin, small
material favor, bit of fur, or some other little tchotsky, to people they
felt added to their experience of the day/evening/event - who could find
fault??  (and if they do - fie on them!)  I have done it on numerous
occasions, and I know PLENTY of others who have as well.  Mugs, trim,
candles, oh - the list of little personal gifties is endless.

>Don't think the documentation idea can nevertheless be supported because
>the records of non-nobility awarding prizes probably doesn't exist as a
>practice.  You might be able to sell the idea because the period police
>often are very inconsistant and I've seen period practices banned (one
>specific is an archery sighting technique frowned upon in a period archery
>manual but documented as period).

Documentation of 'nobles' acknowledging special talents, or extraordinary
deeds done by tenants or one of the townspeople may not be often done or
documented, but the generous and magnanimous Landowner/Baron, whatever, DID
do just that on the occasion.  William The Conqueror handed out specially
minted coins to certain of his populace, so did Charlemagne - and there are
examples of documentation (and a few of the coins are in the Smithsonian).

>While not all good things need to be awards in the SCA, the bad and
>downside to this idea is that we haven't fixed the problem of proper
>appreciation (avoiding the term recognition).

Will we *ever* "fix" the problem??  I would like to think we will *always*
want to extend and improve upon our abilities to thank people for their good
efforts.  Perhaps making appreciation the focus for the next 3-6 months
until it becomes habit would be a good thing for the Kingdom.   I would love
to see someone mint several hundred Special Token Coins, just for the
purpose of thanks, and I'd be MORE than happy to buy lots!!!!   Could be a
great Fundraiser for the Kingdom.   Something like 10 for a dollar??  They
could be something as simple as pot metal washers spray painted gold, little
round brass something-or-others.

<If you had people saying "Thank You" more often and being visibly more
appreciative, you wouldn't have the problem of people not being recognized.

There are still going to be people not recognized in a timely manner -
whether by their opinion or someone else's.  Fact is, this Kingdom is still
growing (in numbers) and the Crown just cannot stand up there (much as They
may want to) and hand out 5-10 AoAs, 2-3 Grants, 4-5 something Else's at
every event.  We would soon run out of awards and people to give them to,
and quite soon, lessen the moment for ALL of the recipients, while the
populace would sit out in the audience snoozing thru the countless scroll
texts!    Sometimes, preparations need to be made - making sure that a
person can actually GET to a particular event, or making sure their
MEMBERSHIP is paid....(ahem...)  all which take a bit of time.  Maybe
they're waiting on a scroll.   I've done a number of scrolls in just such
instances where as soon as the scroll was done, the Recognition was given.
Those are only a few other reasons to consider before blaming the Crown for
not handing out enough recognitions of whatever type.

<A simple thank you made as a general annoucement isn't enough. >

Yes, but it's certainly is nice to hear when YOU'RE the one that has done so
much of the work for a particular event, and They call YOU into Court and/or
thank you publicly!   Just ask anyone to whom that's happened.   Our Barons
and Baronesses make a BIG effort to thank their people, and I feel the Crown
does as well if not even better - given the circumstances at each event.
No one Royal or Ruling Noble can do it all (much less remember it all) - and
I think the Populace can really add to this effort.

The token idea is grand - uniformity might be a good way to go.  After a
very short while, we should ALL have 1 or 2 hanging on a little belt loop -
and there are SOME people who will need a trunk!  =D

Duchess Arrowyn