[Artemisia] Challenge Coins

Kay Moore arrowyn at msn.com
Wed Oct 22 19:36:01 CDT 2003

>From: Wayne Hamberg <michaeltheloud at yahoo.com>

>When awards are given out to individuals who may be the live-in-companion
>of a popular peer that hasn't done the work to deserve such recognition or
>denied to others because of the household they are in, feeling do get hurt.
>  I've seen several that have left the SCA because of those situations and
>it's unfortunate and the negatives are that SCA loses one that has
>generally enriched the kingdom and the talent and experienced the person
>who leaves.
>
>Michael

Yes, Michael, this has happened more than once - but for someone to leave
the SCA solely because of that is a real shame.   I submit that it sometimes
- for some people - it can be a 'good excuse'.  You don't quit your job
because the boss's nephew gets a raise, do you?   You don't stop your
archery activities because someone with less experience than you gets rave
reviews do you?

We've ALL seen a few examples of a recognition going to someone based solely
on politicks.  But rest assured that it diminishes all concerned in many
eyes - and, when someone totally deserving DOES 'get theirs', the term
"joyous noise" takes on new meaning.

Arrowyn