[Artemisia] RE: Good greetings

Julia H. West julia.west at sff.net
Thu Oct 23 01:49:35 CDT 2003

> From: leishman10 at juno.com
> Subject: [Artemisia] Re: Good Greetings from Meistres Rhonwen y
> 	Llysieuyddes
>
> I don't know if we have met yet, I am the current Youth Minister of Loch
> Salann.

Greetings, Lady Bethoc!  I don't know if I introduced myself, but I was very impressed last spring with what you were doing with the youth at fighter practice.  The booklets, and things for them to fill out when they've completed an activity--that's very neat!  I sang with Mistress Bengta and the youth once, and watched them doing spinning (I couldn't help--I'm too allergic to wool).

> Sounds as though you may have a youth or two who might be interested in
> the activities that we provide.  This past Wednesday at fighter practice
> we hosted a class in the making of chain mail taught by SamWise, it was a
> lot of fun.  We also had boffer instruction provided by Joel the
> Wanderer.

That sounds like so much fun!  Hey, =I'd= go for instruction on making chain mail.  It's been a long time!  Unfortunately, my girls have church meetings Wednesday evenings, so they'll miss most fighter practices.  But I'll bring them when they're not busy elsewhere.  Danica (whoops!  Gwenhywfar) did come with me once and got to boffer fight with a young man.  She was vastly impressed with herself when she actually beat him!

> It is our current practice to make every attempt to provide (mostly)
> period related activities weekly during fighter practice as well as
> during events sponsored by our barony.  These activities are open to any
> youth ages 5 - 17. Younger children are allowed to attend only if the
> parent remains with them at all times and assists them.  Joel the
> Wanderer is also available most weeks to instruct those interested in
> boffer related activities. Unless otherwise stated, currently there are
> no fees for these classes beyond the purchase of necessary equipment for
> boffer and occassionaly a small materials fee for class activities, which
> if required will be posted in advance on the Loch Salann e list.

Great!  I'll have to get the girls interested in this.  Both girls are interested in rapier and archery, I know that.  I do know Joel, and I'll have to introduce the girls to him.

> The kingdom of Artemisia also has youth programs available, for more
> information, you can either see me, or visit the Kingdom Youth website
> at:  http://www.youth.artemisia.sca.org/  .   The documents page includes
> the awards programs for youth at two age levels.   Many of the classes we
> do at fighter practice are specifically designed to meet these
> requirments and the child is also allowed to do the activities on their
> own and provide proof of completion for signoff.  You will notice that
> some of the requirements also involve providing service at assorted
> events, etc.

Ah!  I did not realize these were available online.  I'll go check, and see what the girls would like to do.  I've got a fair number of things I could probably teach them, but I'd rather they get to know other people.  I sat them down today and told them, "The SCA is what you make of it.  If you're going to an event with the idea that other people are there to entertain you, you'll be bored.  If you go with the idea that you'll find ways to help people, find things to do, and learn from other people, you'll have a good time."  I hope they actually listened to me, and didn't just blow it off as "Mom lecturing us again."

> Unfortunately I met with a small accident and will not be at fighter
> practice today.  I am trying to arrange for someone to take my place but
> that is not yet finalized.  I should be returning next week.

Oh no!  I hope you're feeling better soon.  Mistress Bengta was there with dance music, and was just about to give up for lack of participation when I arrived.  We sat down and were going to do some singing, when all sorts of people showed up to dance (including two to four youngsters), and so we did Tangle Bransle and a few others.  Great fun!

> If you would like more information, you should be able to reach me at :
> youth at lochsalann.org  or by using the contact information posted on both
> the barony and kingdom officer's pages.

Thank you!  I will do so.  I think the girls just need to figure out what's going on, and then they'll be fine.  They're a bit shy to approach other people, but I think they'll do well once they get into what's going on.

Pob hwyl!

Meistres Rhonwen y Llysieuyddes