[Artemisia] Scotch

Mike Bradley bradmich at isu.edu
Mon Oct 27 13:19:02 CST 2003

Morgan Wolf wrote:

> <snip>
>
> As for period, I've always understood Period to be 600-1650, although
> I've heard the top end moved back to 1630 in recent years.

Well, technically, 'period' is "pre-17th Century", i.e. anything up to
and including the year 1600.  There is no official early cutoff date,
though trying to find first run documentation for things pre 600 AD (or
CE for those of you who insist on that PC BS) is difficult to say the
least.  The 'gray area' of 1601 - 1650 was instituted by a bunch of
onery heralds on the basis of 'if we have a 35 year old man named Foo de
Bar in 1628, that is documentation that the name Foo was used prior to
1600'.  It was assumed that a lot of things that happened prior to 1600,
but not published until after probably hadn't changed much.  However, if
you find something that has its first happening post 1600, it is (by
definition) not period.  Even if that first time it happened was January
1st, 1601.

Conchobhar
(not Welsh, but can speak it on occassion ... well, at least modern Welsh)