[Artemisia] Scotch

Ellen Stavash EStavash at msn.com
Mon Oct 27 13:48:49 CST 2003

According to Corpora, our period ends in 1600.  Some Artemisians (including the hospitaler of my group when I started!) believe otherwise, and will inadvertantly spread misinformation to newcomers, but most of us adhere to the Society-wide cutoff date.

Morgan may be right, though-- if something was clearly well-established in 1609, it probably existed before 1600.  I wouldn't advise this sort of justification in an A&S competition, but it can be used as a pointer for further research into period practices.  For instance, our wonderful Constance de la Rose noticed the slightly post-period charter date on a bottle of vodka. She contacted the makers and learned more about the founder, including the fact that his recipes were well established before 1600, and that his techniques were those that he learned as an apprentice in the mid-1500's.

Ellen