[Artemisia] Lamb recipes

Willa - Rose yasmeena at juno.com
Mon Oct 27 19:30:50 CST 2003

Oh, oh, oh, I"m drolling. I love lamb too. My favorite herb to use is
fresh Rosemay... along with lots of garlic, of course.
Yasmeena

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 18:48:46 -0700 Mary Hodges <hodgemary at onewest.net>
writes:
> You lucky girl!  I envy you, lamb is my favorite!
>
> Here are two of my best recipes.
>
> Lamb recipe #1
> Grilled butterflied leg of lamb
> Split the meat down to the bone lengthwise, it should be about one
> and a
> half to two inches thick.  When it's opened up it looks a little
> like a
> butterfly.  Mash up several cloves of garlic (I put them in the food
>
> processor-the number depends on how much you like garlic) into a
> paste
> with a little olive oil, rub the garlic paste on the lamb some time
> before you grill it (longer time=more garlic flavor), pepper and
> grill
> over hot coals. Add salt at the very last minute before you take it
> off
> the grill.  I like lamb medium rare and hot all the way through, but
>
> tastes vary.
>
> Lamb recipe #2
> Roast leg of lamb
> If there is a thin papery looking tissue on the outside, remove it.
>
> Then pierce the fat all over with a sharp knife and put slivers of
> garlic in the slits.  Sprinkle the outside with coarse ground
> pepper,
> rosemary and lavender to taste.  Place the lamb, fat and garlic side
> up,
> on a rack in a greased roasting pan. If the lamb has a lot of fat,
> put a
> half inch of water in the pan under the rack so the grease doesn't
> smoke. If it's a big roast, you may have to add more water as
> roasting
> progresses.
>
> Turn your oven up as hot as it will go (typically about 450 to 500
> degrees F for an electric oven-I've never had a gas oven so I don't
> know
> how hot they can get.)  Open the door and quickly put the lamb in
> the
> oven, then  immediately turn the heat down to 325 or 350 F and roast
>
> until done.  You can test for doneness by poking the meat and seeing
> the
> color of the juices (clear=well done, pink=medium, red=rare) or you
> can
> get out the big fat cookbook (I use Joy of Cooking) and use a meat
> thermometer following their instructions.  Time to desired doneness
> depends on how much your leg of lamb weighs, whether you let it come
> room temperature before roasting, and how hot your oven really is
> (built
> in oven thermometers are notoriously inaccurate).
>
> Enjoy.  Lamb is really good with turnips, or braised carrots, and
> green
> salad made with romaine or other dark greens.  Apples or pears
> sauteed
> in a little butter with cinnamon are also a nice side dish with
> lamb,
> and so are fresh green peas with mint.

> [...]

Mu'allemah (Mistress) Yasmeena bint al Ahlam, OP, Cd'O
Minister of the Royal Stables of Artemisia
Companion of the Company of St. Anne
http://lanceofstanne.homestead.com/yasmeena.html
The Interkingdom Mounted Military Company