[Artemisia] Re: Oh the Years

Elaine carynvnk at comcast.net
Mon Oct 27 21:03:10 CST 2003

Greetings, everyone:
This message is to answer two questions at once. My first event was an East
Kingdom Crown Tourney. My roommate and I and our boyfriends showed up
unannounced, no reservations (these may not have been required, as the event
was held in a park and, by today's standards, quite informal.) The site was
grassy and forested, the people simply dressed and friendly.

As my roommate and I walked up a grassy hill toward where things were
happening, the King came up to us, kissed our hands, and said "Welcome to my
Kingdom." Can you imagine the impression that made on us? I can see and hear
him to this day.

The year? 1973.
The King? Aonghais Dubh MacTarbh. No matter what anyone says about him now,
he was my first King and through the years he has never been anything but
courteous to me and mine. And as I said, the impression he made has colored
my decision to stay in the SCA ever since.

Sometimes I wish we could go back to that simpler, less formal time, when
things could be more flexible. The size of the organization and subsequent
broader range of activities and interests (not all beneficial,
unfortunately) have made more rules necessary.

The best thing about the SCA, in my opinion, is the wonderful creativity it
brings out in people. People are inspired to do things they thought they
couldn't, in the arts, in service, and in their personal development. We
need to continue to provide both the romance I experienced at my first
event, and opportunities for people to experience growth. Then the SCA can
continue to grow.

Regards,
Caryn
Catching up on email