[Artemisia] Fw: Stefan's files for April

caointiarn caointiarn1 at juno.com
Mon Apr 5 07:34:22 CDT 2004

Greetings,

Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for April, detailing what is new in
the Florilegium this month.

If you are the editor of an SCA newsletter and would like to get a copy of
this article several weeks in advance so you can meet your various
leadtimes, please get in touch with me. I also produce a version of this
article formatted for posting on SCA oriented websites and if you would like
that, again just contact me by email.

If you have any comments, suggestions or criticisms about the Florilegium,
please feel free to contact me.

Thanks,
   Stefan
----------------------
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past fourteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting
bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles
submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this information
available to others, I have placed this information in a series of files I
call Stefan's Florilegium.

I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that
would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible
inclusion in the Florilegium. Contact me for more details.

I am also interested in volunteers who might be interested in helping me
maintain the Florilegium. Everything from collecting materials, editing and
web work is needed. Again, please contact me for more details.

      THLord Stefan li Rous   Ansteorra    stefan at florilegium.org

Here are the new files for this month:
Under ANIMALS:
    warhorse-size-art    "A Refutation of the Myth of the Giant Medieval
Warhorse" by Siobhan ni Seaghdha, OP
Under CRAFTS:
    mkng-a-p-lathe-art   "An Easily Made Primitive Lathe"    by Master
Magnus Malleus.
Under CULTURES:
    Scandinavia-lnks     Web links to medieval Scandinavia  by Dame Aoife
Finn of Ynos Mon.
Under FOOD-BY-REGION:
    fd-Mer-Gaul-rv-art   A review by Raymond Van Dam of "Creating Community
with Food and Drink in Merovingian
Gaul".
Under PEOPLE AND PLACES:
    Charlemagne-lnks     Web links to information on Charlemagne    by Dame
Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
    Welser-family-bib    A bibliography on the German Welser family.
Under PERFORMANCE ARTS:
    masks-mumming-lnks   Web links to medieval masks, mumming and   Masques
by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
under PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES:
    juniper-beries-msg   Period use of juniper berries.

And this month’s updated files include:
    peacocks-msg         Serving peacock sotelties safely.
    aphrodisiacs-msg     Medieval aphrodisiacs.
    baklava-msg          Period baklava-like layered pastries.
    cookbooks-bib        Cookbook bib. by Mistress Jaelle of Armida.
    East-Eur-msg         Eastern Europe. Poles, Czechs, Bohemia.
    eggplant-msg         Period eggplant (aubergine). Recipes.
    exotic-meats-msg     Period and SCA exotic meats. Swans, ostrich,
crawfish, dormice, cat.
    feasts-fish-msg      Serving fish at SCA feasts.
    fowls-a-birds-msg    Period fowls and birds. Period Chickens.
    fruit-quinces-msg    Period uses and recipes for quinces.
    sops-msg             Slices of bread soaked in a sauce.
    trenchers-msg        Wooden and bread trenchers. Plates.
    whole-pig-msg        Info. on roasting a whole pig. Experiences.
---
Copyright 2004, Mark S. Harris.
Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the
contents are left unchanged and the author is notified of the publication.
Notification may be by email and reformatting is allowed.

<end>
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com