[Artemisia] Re: Artemisia Digest, Vol 11, Issue 14

Lord Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil archergodwin at cableone.net
Fri Aug 13 11:15:30 CDT 2004

>after checking the weather report for that area, i brought my knee hi rubber boots, which were very handy,
and a tent heater.  tho several folks stated we were going to die in our tents from the heater, they too were
in the tent keeping warm.  we were careful to pick a good quaility heater and left one of the windows in the
tent cracked just incase it did leak, which it did not.  our air bed is also the kind that has legs so our bed
was off the ground and was dry.  some folks had a wet bed.  i also bought a shower tent.  i am glad i did.. i
heard there was a 3 minute shower sign on the shower truck and 3 minutes isn't long enough to was my hair and
me.
>Redhawk

In canvas tents that "breathe" better, it's not as critical an issue: but it is still an issue. You need to
remember to have very good/warm bedding.

1. Shut off your heater and place it 'outside' the tent when you go to bed. This sometimes necessitates being
sober enough to do so. ;) If the weather has a chance of going bad, stay sober enough to respond.
2. Have good/warm/layered bedding -  you won't need the heater.
3. Tents made of Nylon (most of the mundane tents) are really at risk. The reason is this: the outside layer
of nylon can get moist or sweat.NOTE: this happens greatly in early morning, when dew is forming. But you
really have to be cautious during a rainy period.
This causes the tent to achieve a more 'sealed' situation, where the fabric cannot 'breathe'. Neither does the
transfer of oxygen/carbon monoxide take place very well. The folks that I know have died in the last 3 years
of asphyxiation, were in mundane tents. Unpainted canvas breathes very well, but I still put my heater outside
when I go to bed.

Extra socks.
Raingear - shoot even the black garbage bags turned ponchos work great.
Not so much stuff that you don't have room in your tent, that you can't get your stuff away from the walls.
you touch a tent wall when it's raining, and *poof* instant leak spot.
Plastic tubs.
Battery operated carbon monoxide detectors are cheap...relatively.

I state all this, because I was walking past the encampment/tents 3 years ago at Estrella, when 2 people were
discovered dead in their tents. It is an awful experience, because it is so avoidable.

Godwin