[Artemisia] Fw: Stefan's Florilegium files for December

caointiarn caointiarn1 at juno.com
Tue Dec 7 20:46:36 CST 2004

 Greetings to the Gentles across the Known World,

 Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for December, detailing what  is
new in the Florilegium this month.

 Thanks,
    Stefan
 -------
 A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past fourteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting
bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles
submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
 this information available to others, I have placed this information in a
series of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

 I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that
would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible
inclusion in the Florilegium. Contact me for more details.

 I am also interested in volunteers who might be interested in helping  me
maintain the Florilegium. Everything from collecting materials, editing and
web work is needed. Again, please contact me for more  details.

Also, to help cover the overhead of running the Florilegium site I have
added a PayPal donation button on the top page of the site. You do not  have
to have a PayPal account to use this. If you prefer not to use  PayPal,
contact me by email and we can arrange something else. The Florilegium
doesn't count as a non-profit in the government's eyes, so your donation is
not tax deductible, but I appreciate it and if you've  found the Florilegium
to be useful or interesting through the years,
 this is one way to help it continue to do so.
       THLord Stefan li Rous   Ansteorra

 One of my prime concerns currently is to update all files to the new format
which includes several new features such as making links "pickable" and some
disguising of all email addresses to make it  harder for the spammer's
programs to harvest email addresses from this site. I support the execution
of any convicted spammer. Yes, I am  modifying all 1800+ files as fast as I
can. This  means that while I will continue to add new files each month, the
usual amount will be reduced. However, as I update the files to the new
format, I am adding any information I have waiting to go in a file, so there
will be more updated files. Please let me know if you like the new format or
have
any suggestions.

 Here are the new files for this month:

 In the CLEBRATIONS AND EVENTS section:
     holiday-gifts-lnks   Links to medieval holiday gifts
                             by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
In the CRAFTS section:
     Tool-Making-art      "Tool Making" by Master Tamlene ap Guidgen,
                             O.L. A class handout on making tools.
 In the FOODS-BY-REGION section:
     ME-revel-fds-art     Medieval Middle Eastern foods suitable for a revel
or buffet w. recipes by Anahita.
In the TEXTILE-ARTS section:
    sprang-bib           Annotated bibliography on the art of sprang weaving
    by Medb ingen Dungaile.

 Here are just a some of the updated files, usually those with the largest
amounts of new material:
     cl-Germany-msg       Clothing of Medieval Germany.
    birds-recipes-msg    Bird recipes. Squabs, pheasants, quail.
     blood-dishes-msg     Use of blood in period foods. Recipes.
     exotic-meats-msg     Period and SCA exotic meats. Swans,
ostrich,crawfish, dormice, cat.
     horse-recipes-msg    Period horse recipes. References.
     illusion-fds-msg     Medieval illusion foods. Diguised food.
     lamb-mutton-msg      Medieval lamb and mutton. Recipes.
     meat-smoked-msg      Medieval smoked meats. Smoking meats.
     organ-meats-msg      Period cooking of organ meats.
     rabbit-dishes-msg    Period rabbit and hare recipes.
     salmon-msg           Period use of Salmon. Recipes.

 Here are a couple of files to help celebrate the holiday season:
     12th-nite-msg        12th Night celebrations.
     St-Nicholas-art      Article on the St. Nicholas traditions.
     Sugarplums-art       "Visions of Sugarplums" by Mistress Renata Kestryl
of Highwynds.
     toys-msg             Period and SCA toys.
     Toys-in-th-MA-art    "Toys in the Middle Ages" By Lady Margritte
                             of Ravenscroft.
     wassail-msg          Spiced cider and ale drinks. Traditions.
    Xmas-art             "The True Meaning of Xmas".
     Yule-msg             Yule celebrations.
 ---
 Copyright 2004, Mark S. Harris.
 Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if  the
contents are left unchanged and the author is notified of the  publication.
Notification may be by email and reformatting is allowed.

 <end>
 --------
     Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
 StefanliRous at austin.rr.com