[Artemisia] "Cheat" for Onewest.net users

El Hermoso Dormiendo ElHermosoDormido at dogphilosophy.net
Thu Dec 9 15:20:18 CST 2004

There IS actually an easy "cheat" you can use until I can get
OneWest to update their DNS records correctly...

All modern OS's (and many non-modern ones) have a "hosts"
file where you can manually specify the addresses of
different computers, which overrides whatever DNS is reporting.

In Microsoft(tm) Windows(tm) 95/98, the file is:
C:\windows\hosts
In Windows(tm) NT, 2000, or XP "Pro" it is:
C:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
In Windows(tm) XP "Home" it is:
C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

On Linux and many other Unix-type systems, it's
/etc/hosts

On Mac OSX it's in the "System" folder, named "Hosts"

(there is no "extension" i.e. it's not "hosts.txt", just "hosts".)

If you do not currently have a "hosts" file set up (most people
don't, unless they're serious nerds...) you should be able to simply
drop the attached file into the indicated place.  You may need
to reboot if you're running Windows, of course...

Otherwise, if the file already exists, simply open it in a text
editor (such as "Notepad") and add the following line to it:

24.119.66.30 www.dogphilosophy.net

and save it.

That SHOULD (if I am correct about what the problem is)
make things start working regardless of OneWest not currently
having the correct DNS records...

Let me know if it works.  If this doesn't do it, I may be able to take
more drastic measures...

P.S. If you have nerdly inclinations, I found a more detailed discussion
of the "hosts" files here:

http://practice.chatserve.com/hosts.html

signed,
El Hermoso Dormiendo, compu-janitor