[Artemisia] Loch Salann Winter Solstice Court

Ravenmacleod at comcast.net Ravenmacleod at comcast.net
Tue Dec 14 20:08:03 CST 2004

Wow! What a ride.

As far as I could tell all had a great time at Loch Salann’s Winter Solstice Court.

There was a games tournament that really bent our brains as we had to adjust to a more period version of the rules for games that many of us are quite familiar with. I know that I was bested in a rather hotly contested bout withy a young lady who’s name escapes me at the writing of this missive. Additionally I am unable to recall the victor of the games tournament sound did not carry well in the hall making it difficult to hear what was being said when his lordship James of Penmore made his announcement. As far as I can tell the tournament was highly enjoyable. Our thanks to His Lordship James for his efforts to fill our day with learning and enjoyment.

While I was sequestered in the corner of the hall working on the promissory scroll for Artemisia’s newest peer of the realm Mistress Malkin of Otherhill noble Squire to Sir Michael the Lucky of Lancaster. I was treated to the delightful blessing of hearing the Musicians Guild of Loch Salann note waft majestically throughout the hall. I found it particularly beautiful when they were joined by the soft angelic voices that sang some of my favorite carols. We also enjoyed a visit from Father Christmas though he was dressed quite strangely, and a quick mummer by the children that were in attendance that day.

There was a marzipan subtlety contest sponsored by Mistress Casamira which produced delights that were not only pleasing to the eye but a delight for the palate. Speaking of the sense of taste. Mistress Casamira and her kitchen crew deserver high regard as they; Mistress Casamira, Mistress Margaret, m’Lady Hildegard, Her Ladyship Sajah, Mistress Rachel Ashton and too many others for me to draw readily to mind produced on of the more memorable feasts of my time in these current middle ages. Each dish served by the peers of Artemisia was hot and flavorful.

During dinner we enjoyed a wonderful Bardic Competition that was not completed as time was drawing short, the competition will be revisited at Loch Slann’s Baronial Collegium on the 29th of January. During the sampling of the competition; a poem written by His Lordship James and a song by Lady Amanda De Spencer leap eagerly to mind. During the performances a subtlety prepared by the kitchen crew was presented to the Royal Court it was something to look upon indeed.

After the fabulous repast m’lord Lance and m’lord Odfa and again too many others for my mind to recall cleared the tables and moved the chairs to prepare court.

During court m’lady Bieju was recognized with an Award of Arms. Lady Bethoc was recognized as a Pillar of Artemisia as was Lord Adric Legot. Malkin of Otherhill was made a member of the honorable order of the Pelican. Baron Don Dietrich was sent on vigil to be added to the most noble order of the Pelican. Sir Michael the Lucky of Lancaster was made a member of the order of the Crystal Heart a personal service award in the barony of loch Salann also recognized with this award was Lord Jean Richard de Halloway. I personally was made a member of the order of the Crystal of the Salt Wastes an order recognized for exemplarily service to the Barony of Loch Salann.

After court Her Ladyship Sajah swore an oath of fealty  to Baroness Rachel Aston as her protégé. And many of the event attendees worked feverishly to clean up the site among those of note, lord Bjarki who also hosted a heralds consulting table, Her Ladyship Thea our sable plume who held a scribal table in addition to her other endeavors m’lord Michael those members of Hold Tyte and Barony Ashton that were still there.

I was greatly inspired by the happenings this day!

Humbly yours,
HL Raven MacLeod
Seneschal, Loch Salann