[Artemisia] Event Thoughts

Brent Larsen adric at emcity.net
Tue Dec 14 20:56:19 CST 2004

SNIP,,,,,

> Magic always occurs for me during those moments when I am appreciating
> the romantic silhouette of my dashing swordsman and love of my life,
> Maitre Guillaume. More magical moments occur when including my horses in
> this game. Riding in tournament with my fellow equestrians transports me
> to another time. I really enjoyed that parade at Uprising a few years ago
> too, complete with mounted royalty surrounded by flying banners presented
> through an arch of rapiers and led by bagpipers. >

SNAP..........
> Yasmeena
>
> Mu'allemah Yasmeena, OL, OP, Cd'O, etc.
> "The Equestrian Mistress"
> Minister of the Royal Stables of Artemisia
> Mounted Companion of the Lance of St. Anne
> http://lanceofstanne.homestead.com/yasmeena.html

SNUP.......

This is very  interesting to me, because I was one of those arching rapiers
and it most definatly was not magical for me.  My feet were killing me, we
didnt get enough practice in for my satisfaction,  many of us were running
around trying to get everyone gathered, and make sure everyone had their
Blackwing tabbards and there were enough court swords to go around, in fact
there were not, so we quickly removed the blunts from the ends of a couple
of more flashy combat swords(dang!, I'll have to remember to tape that back
on before tomorrow).  It was just  more run, run, run, ......run, run.
Duties that day had already been overwhelming and I felt much more like a
surf than a noble.  I didnt have an  ounce of magic in me to share.  The day
had been one of those that no matter how much you run around doing things,
someone feels left out and wonders why you didnt "do your part."  I was
feeling like "crap, this is supposed to be a get away for me, a
vacation-like chance to stab friends and enjoy campfires, and its more like
a labor camp, well, at least when I am done I know there wont be a line at
the shower truck...."

Well, we didnt look to bad, given my disatisfaction with practice, and I
don't usualy   think of how badly my feet hurt marching around the road to
the stables... (right past the shower truck mind you) but I do remember,
when we got to the stables, we once again turned and gave salute to those
Equestrian Mounted Followers, this time not for the show, but for the
salute, because so few would see this one....... That part I liked because
we hadnt discused it at all and  everyone pulled it off without a hitch. Bit
of a pride moment there (insert a wipe of the eye).

So, anyway, here I am years later reading an email and discover me in it!
and it includes a "I really enjoyed that" discription of ME! (us) and
suddenly the rest of the burdens of that moment are gone and all that is
left is the magic of it, years later... go figgure.

It made me think.

for me, the hardest part of the SCA is balance between DUTY and FUN,  I know
people who got overwhelmed with the DUTY part and quit..  or took long
sabatticals

It made me think of what I dont like, and why, as well as what I do like and
why.  It made me appreciate that I can be part of the magic even when it
isn't magical for me.

Hope that makes you think too.

Lord Adric Lagot