[Artemisia] Is modern raw silk period?

Oogie McGuire oogiem at desertweyr.com
Thu Feb 5 11:37:49 CST 2004

>What I'm talking about is a sort of nubbly silk.  Not too shiny,
>more like a linen with stubble.

My understanding is that type of fabric is not typically used in the
SCA time period. The reason is silk was an expensive fabric and only
the best got used. The slubby look is indicative of inferior spinning
so would be rejected. In general fabrics of the SCA time period are
very finely crafted, no irregular or slubby sections. And the weaving
was very fine as well, often much finer than we can get today with
machine woven goods.

Fabric was expensive to produce in terms of labor and materials so
was done to a very high standard, hence all the rules on weaving
guilds and what tools could be used to spin the threads used to weave
fabrics, on how it was measured, tentered, fulled and marketed etc.
Oogie McGuire - oogiem at desertweyr.com
Weyr Associates - Multimedia and Web Authoring Services & Consulting
Desert Weyr - CMK Arabian horses and Black Welsh Mountain Sheep
http://www.desertweyr.com/
Paonia, CO USA