[Artemisia] Doupioni

Dainya of MoonHill dianahoff at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 5 11:30:23 CST 2004

"julia.jackman-brink" <julia.jackman-brink at umontana.edu> wrote:

Willa - Rose wrote:

> Does anyone out there know what doupioni is and how it gets its name?

I would have to do some digging (books are at home) but I think it maybe
Italian in origin. They did some wonderful stuff in the 1500's.

Juliana

Doupioni is reeled from double (silk) cocoons nested together. The threads are uneven and irregular. Italian Doupioni is the finest, followed by Chinese Doupioni and Indian Doupioni.

Doupioni: [doo-pee-ohn-ee]  the irregular, uneven, rough silk taken from double cocoons or interlocked cocoons which are reeled together. 2. fabrics with characteristic slubs made from doupioni silk or made to imitate doupioni silk.

Doupioni is also seen in man-made fibers such as polyester (ICK!), acetate and referred to as doupionni. Silk Doupioni is most often found in men's and women's fine suits and also dresses in lighter weight silk Doupioni.

Oh and BTW......Caledonia Fine Fabrics is fabulous! I could spend hours in there going through all those wonderful fabrics!

-Dainya