[Artemisia] Doupioni

Willa - Rose yasmeena at juno.com
Thu Feb 5 15:02:16 CST 2004

Bravo Dainya. Come by and see me on Wednesdays. I'm there all day.
Yasmeena... as Willa Rose on Wednesdays

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 11:30:23 -0800 (PST) Dainya of MoonHill
<dianahoff at yahoo.com> writes:
> "julia.jackman-brink" <julia.jackman-brink at umontana.edu> wrote:
>
> Willa - Rose wrote:
>
> > Does anyone out there know what doupioni is and how it gets its
> name?
>
> I would have to do some digging (books are at home) but I think it
> maybe
> Italian in origin. They did some wonderful stuff in the 1500's.
>
> Juliana
>
> Doupioni is reeled from double (silk) cocoons nested together. The
> threads are uneven and irregular. Italian Doupioni is the finest,
> followed by Chinese Doupioni and Indian Doupioni.
>
> Doupioni: [doo-pee-ohn-ee]  the irregular, uneven, rough silk taken
> from double cocoons or interlocked cocoons which are reeled
> together. 2. fabrics with characteristic slubs made from doupioni
> silk or made to imitate doupioni silk.
>
> Doupioni is also seen in man-made fibers such as polyester (ICK!),
> acetate and referred to as doupionni. Silk Doupioni is most often
> found in men's and women's fine suits and also dresses in lighter
> weight silk Doupioni.
>
> Oh and BTW......Caledonia Fine Fabrics is fabulous! I could spend
> hours in there going through all those wonderful fabrics!
>
> -Dainya

Mu'allemah (Mistress) Yasmeena bint al Ahlam, OP, Cd'O
Minister of the Royal Stables of Artemisia
Companion to the Company of St. Anne
http://lanceofstanne.homestead.com/yasmeena.html
An Interkingdom Mounted Military Company