[Artemisia] Planning events (longish response)

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sat Jul 3 10:58:45 CDT 2004

I'm sorry I didn't get around to answering this very interesting
question earlier, but perhaps my delayed response will revive the
thread! <g>
1.  I've never noticed any particular pattern to the times at which
those really special moments happen, although I'm not a
bright-middle-of-day person, so perhaps less then than others.  I could
venture a guess that twilight times (early morning, evenings) or night
kinda lend themselves to the non-mundane a little more, but that's just
random blather on my part.
2.  Magic Moments (MM's) can happen anytime--sometimes random, sometimes
scheduled.  They're just a gift from the universe, I think, and not
something that can be penciled in on a calendar.  That said, though, I
do think that one can...prepare...for a MM.  There are ways to make the
occurence more likely.  And a person needs to be *aware* of things,
alert to the possibilities of the moment, instead of all narrowly
focused on what they *think* a MM should be.  Which may be some part of
why people can be so...disappointed about holidays or getting married or
anything that our culture hypes so strongly.  We're expecting
*big*splashy*event*A* and what we're missing are the quieter, but no
less precious moments.
In my never-humble opinion <g>, SCA events are certainly a venue at
which MM can happen, although far from the only one.  And I think we all
need to do our bits to help increase the likelihood of special memories
being created.  And I do mean all of us, taking turns to help run an
event, or clean up, or organize, or run an office, or whatever, lest we
turn into something almost crass.
I'm sure there are as many definitions of the SCA as there as
definitions of MM's <g>, but one of the very best aspects of the SCA,
for me, at least, is this amazing, creative evolution its members share
in.  We're not *less* than a strictly historical reenactment group,
we're *more*, because we allow ourselves and our friends to play and
create and experiment, and it's quite okay for a 14th c. authenticist to
be hanging out with folks in American Tribal, and eating a 16th c.
English feast.  The possibilities are endless.....
--maire
oh, random magic moments from maire:
1.  Yuri's knighting under the trees.  Was that the coolest, or what?
2.  Preparing dinner at the Abbey this year, and listening to live
musicians singing/playing period music.
3.  Waking up before dawn at Uprising last year, and watching the sun
come up and hearing the roosters crow....
4.  Putting on my first Elizabethan.
5.  Watching the Aten parade of troops at my first Estrella War.
6.  Finally getting the hang of spinning at a demo last year, thanks to
Lady Ceridwenn.
7.  Being in York Minster on a random day in August a couple of years
ago, and hearing the building sing back to a choir of young people
having an unscheduled concert.
8.  Looking through the clouds below the airplane, and seeing the entire
island of Ireland, all at once.

What are some of *your* favorite moments?

Niccolo asked: