[Artemisia] Fw: Stefan's files for July

caointiarn caointiarn1 at juno.com
Tue Jul 6 07:12:06 CDT 2004

Greetings to those across the Known World,

Here is the July copy of my monthly article detailing what is new in the
Florilegium this month.

Please remember if you see an interesting article that would make a good
addition to the  Florilegium to send a copy with the author's contact info
or to have the author send a copy themselves.

My  main effort at this point is to  convert all the Florilegium files to
the new format. Yes, all 1800+ of them. But I will still be adding some new
files each month. Please let me know if you like the new format or if you
have any suggestions to improve it or the site.

If you are a newsletter editor and would like to get a copy of this monthly
article several weeks in advance in order to meet your deadlines, please
contact me.

If any of you are going to Pennsic this year, please feel free to stop by my
encampment with SPCA down by the lake in section W10 to discuss the
Florilegium or anything else.

Stefan
------------------
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past fourteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting
bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles
submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
this information available to others, I have placed this information in a
series of files I call Stefan's Florilegium. The Florilegium is on the web
at: http://www.florilegium.org

I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that
would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible
inclusion in the Florilegium. Contact me for more details.

I am also interested in volunteers who might be interested in helping me
maintain the Florilegium. Everything from collecting materials, editing and
web work is needed. Again, please contact me for more details.

      THLord Stefan li Rous   Ansteorra    stefan at florilegium.org

Here are the new files for this month:

In the FEASTS section:
    French-Tbl-Srv-art   An example of French table service
                                translated by Angharad ferch Iorwerth.

In the PERFORMANCE ARTS section:
    blast-horns-art      "Where is the Horn That Was Blowing?" by
                            Lord Dyfn ap Meurig. (hunting horns)

In the PERSONAL-CARE section:
    Medieval-Hair-lnks   Links to medieval hair and headresses
                            by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.

In the TRAVEL section:
    On-the-Road-art      "On the Road ­ Medieval Style" by Master Sir
                            Connor MacAufflie FitzJames and Mistress Siobhan
ni Seaghdha.

In the SCRIBAL ARTS section:
    writing-inst-msg     Writing instruments other than the quill.

In the PLANTS section:
    seaweed-msg          Use of seaweed as food and for other uses.

And this month¹s updated files include:
    garlic-msg           Medieval use of garlic. Garlic storage.
    P-history-msg        Pennsic history.
    potted-foods-msg     Cooked foods put in pots and sealed w. fat.
    sewing-tools-msg     Medieval sewing tools, needles, thimbles.
    Sicily-msg           Period Sicily. Culture, history, food.
    tarts-msg            Period small, open-topped, shallow pies.
    turnips-msg          Turnips in period. Recipes.

And for those going to Pennsic, take a look at the files in the PENNSIC and
SCA-CAMPING sections for some interesting stories and history about the
event and some good info about how to manage the camping at such an the
event, especially if this is your first Pennsic.
---
Copyright 2004, Mark S. Harris.
Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the
contents are left unchanged and the author is notified of the publication.
Notification may be by email and reformatting is allowed.

<end>
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com