[Artemisia] Landsknecht

Maximillain von Passau maximillian_von_passau at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 24 07:40:35 CDT 2004

The following is from the web site
www.landsknecht.com.
There are some other sites about Landsknecht, but have
not found any with patterns for their Garb.

Maximillian von Passau

The term "Landsknechte" was first coined by Peter von
Hagenbach, recorder for Charles the Bold of Burgundy.
The term Landsknecht translated literally means
"servant of the country" and first began appearing in
the German language in approximately 1470. The term
applied to the mercenary soldiers of the areas of
Alsace, Baden Wurttemburg, Austrian Tyrol, and other
numerous countries in what is today Northern Germany.
These soldiers served their countries in military
service under the Holy Roman Emperors Maximilian I,
Charles V, Ferdinand, and Maximilian II. These troops
were originally created by the "father of the
Landsknecht," Maximilian I, to uphold his claim to the
Burgundian Legacy of the Netherlands. This was one
reason for the formation of the Swabian Alliance in
1487. This alliance needed an army, and so the
Landsknechte were born, the first created on German
soil. In 1490, after the siege of Stuhlweissenberg,
Maximilian had his troops swear their allegiance to
him and their cause. This event brought about the
discipline and unit integrity that would mold the
future Landsknechte. This new military force was
closely modelled on the fierce and well trained
halbadiers and pikeman of the Swiss Confederation
(Left).