[Artemisia] BSK Seige Kitchen Contest

Ygrainne ferch Rhun ygrainne_rhun at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 3 07:22:53 CDT 2004

By permission of the Baron/Baroness and event steward
the Barony of Sentinels' Keep announces it first:
Seige Kitchen Contest done for the honor of Baronial
War Cook

Poor Walter we knew him well.  He once was the Baron
and Baroness’s prized war cook. You may ask “was”?
Yes, he alas, has become the “late not so great”
Walter.  During the last encampment he ran into a bit
of a sticky wicket.  The army had been at the fine art
of war for months, tramping and fighting all through
foreign lands, supplies were low, and the men were
tired and hungry.  He hadn’t organized his camp boxes,
nor taken the time to stock up at the last siege.  He
had to make choices, very hard choices. The roasted
swamp rat on a stick served to the Baron won him a
choice spot in the very front line of the next battle,
with the much maligned swamp rat sticks as his only
weapon.  Yes, you could very well say he chose poorly,
as he forgot the most time honored rule of war:
pillage, plunder and THEN BURN. And now, the Baron and
Baroness of Sentinels’ Keep find they are in the
market for a new war cook.  To this end they have
devised a competition to find a replacement for poor
Walter.  The Barony of Sentinels’ Keep would like to
announce it’s first ever Siege Kitchen Contest or as
some of the populace are fond of saying: finding  The
late, not so great, Walter of the Rat Stick’s
replacement.

The Contest:

You will be given a box of food stuffs to be used; to
make, create, devise, invent, concoct and cook.  You
will be allowed three of your own spices, which must
be declared before the contest, to the judges.  If any
of your spices are already included in the camp box,
you will NOT be allowed a replacement.  Unlike Walter,
you must choose wisely.  You will not be allowed any
other food stuffs.  The Baron and Baroness felt every
good cook has his/her secret spices, but must still
comply with the logistics and availability of the war
kitchen.  If you need more than what you are allotted
of one item but won’t be using all of another you most
certainly will be allowed to trade with other war cook
contestants for your needed commodity. You may also
put together a team of cooks rather than just
competing by yourself.  Your meal will be judged on
authenticity, taste, appearance/presentation and
creativity; but remember, there can be only one war
cook or team.

You will be responsible for your own kitchen utensils
and heating sources which include pots, pans, propane
stoves, knives, spoons, etc., just no food stuffs.  A
pit with coals will be made for your use should you
need it, but it will be the responsibility of the cook
to maintain and clean the area once finished with its
use. A schedule and sign up sheet will be available at
the site if we have more participants than the pit can
hold at once. This pit will only be made available if
fire restrictions allow it and is purely optional.

There will be a nominal fee charged to defray the cost
of the food and must be pre-paid.  The deadline for
sign up will be June 19th as we must have time to
locate and assemble the food boxes (we are only going
to make enough boxes for those pre-registered). The
boxes will have enough materials to make a meal for
four people (you may order and pay for more boxes if
you wish).

You will be required to make a main dish, bread, side
dish and desert for judging. Enough of your meal needs
to be set aside for the  4  judges (just enough for
tasting). You are allowed to make more dishes with
what you have, if you so wish, but you will have to
produce at least the basic 4.  You don’t have to use
all the contents  of the box, but some of each of the
ingredients provided must be used in your meal.
Allergies and religious provisions will be considered,
but they must be turned into the judges before the
competition. You will be judged on a range from 1 – 5
for each of the categories.  Prizes will be awarded to
the person with the most points in each category and
the honor of War Cook will be given for the person
with the most total points from all the categories.
Remember the story of Walter and make sure your meal
is fit for the Baron and Baroness’ table.

Time:

You will pick up your supplies from the war kitchen
council at 8:30am on July 10th.  A signup sheet and
schedule for the pit will be provided at that time and
on display for the day.  Your space will be determined
by lottery and will be drawn at registration.  A
number will be furnished to you at the time of your
pre-registration.  The competition will begin at 9am,
and judging will begin by lottery number at 5pm.  This
time frame should allow you time to plan, prepare and
cook your meal as well as participate in other
activities planned for the event.

Contact:

Lady Ygrainne ferch Rhun AKA Lexie Duvall :
406/549-3750 home no calls before noon or after 10pm
Cell: 406/360-3891
I work from 8-5 (m-f) but can be reached after work or
you can email me at ygrainne_rhun at yahoo.com

Price: $20/box (this will feed 4 people)
If you are paying by check please make them out to the
Barony of Sentinels’ Keep, SCA, Inc. and mail them to:
 1338 S 4th W, Missoula, MT 59801.

War Cook Prize:  Lord Arundel is making one of his
famous Viking Fry Pans, these are a much sought after
commodity and we thank him for his willingness to make
one.

=====
"Dreamers, Shapers, Singers, Makers...
Part of me says we'll not see their like again,
and the part of me that still believes in the magic
Says...
Don't be so sure."  Babylon 5