[Artemisia] News from Uprising

Auraelia de Medici auraeliade at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 14 12:35:48 CDT 2004

Greetings to Lady Dub Essa and those who were unable
to attend the war!

Here is but my update on events from Mudrising...uh..
Uprising.  Incomplete as no one can be everywhere at
once, but I'm sure there are some who will be happy to
fill in the gaps.

Yes, it began with a torrential downpour.  Blaise and
I arrived on Thursday late evening.  Those wonderful
gentles who worked Troll certainly had their work cut
out for them as it was moved a couple of times due to
the huge pools of water surrounding them.  Cars were
getting stuck in mud, and it was impossible to go
anywhere without finding mud in your path.

But the SCA is full of people who are used to such
afflictions, and many set up camp in the rain and mud
anyway.  Most events, including court, were cancelled
on Thursday, although Baron Niccolo did have his
gambling house running that night.  (Gamblers!
They'll play in anything.)  I do not know who won the
fabulous prizes, and perhaps he will elaborate on this
further, but I understand a goodly amount of money was
raised by this event.

On Friday, the sky dawned dark and threatening again,
but the clouds parted and the majority of the day was
dry and warm.  There was an unbelted tourney that day
with Lord Michael o'Brian taking the day.  There was a
rapier tourney, but I never did hear who the winner
was.

At court on Friday night there were several awards
including your own dear husband becoming THL by
receiving a Golden Sun in Splendor.  I apologize as I
don't recall the names of other recipents.  A
beautifully done charter for the Blackwing Company was
signed by Queen Kortland and HRH Albreda.

The evening was capped by the joyous calling forth of
Yuri the Yakslapper to stand vigil for the honour of
becoming a Knight.

Later, there was a night tourney fundraiser held by
HRH Reinmar.  There were either two wooden chairs or a
wooden bench that were offered as prizes for the
winning bidder.  I do not know who the winning bidders
were, or who the second place fighter was, but I do
know a knight of the Outlands won the tourney.
Reinmar reported that a bit more than $600 was raised
that night for the kingdom pavilion fund.

And then there were bardics and revelry far into the
night!

On Saturday, the sun shone bright and dried the
reminders of a very wet Wednesday and Thursday.  There
were woods battles, rapier senerios, classes, The
Queens's tea, in which we had not only the gracious
presence of our own dear Queen Kortland and Princess
Albreda, but the beauty of the Queen of the Outlands.
Again, being a forgetful dolt, I cannot remember her
name.  The Laurel's prize tourney was held at the same
time with many wonderful objects, entrants, and
helpful laurels to give helpful advise and encouraging
council.

Yuri stood on the field of battle to recieve his belt,
spurs, and gold chain in a stirring and emotionally
charged scene.  He was fortunate to be belted by all
the present Ladies of the Rose.  The wind rippled the
leaves softly while sunlight filtered through many
tree branches.  Tears of joy were shed when the King's
sword dubbed this deserving fighter to become Sir
Yuri. There was much rejoicing after the final buffet.

That evening at court, your own husband again was
honoured as the Kingdom Archery champion.  Duke John
was given an award that he created, the Gratia et
Comitas.  The final award that night was given to to
THL Isabelle who was granted the status of Court
Baroness.  Again, there were other awards, but I
cannot recall what they were.

Highlights of the event included the earthen oven made
by the Widow Ruth.  The propietors of the site were so
impressed by this, they asked her to leave it there
for them.  She built it on a pedistal of bricks.  It
was truly impressive and inspiring.  The populace
learned the Artemisian Anthem and their Majesties were
heralded into court hearing it sung.  As always,
wonderful merchants. The Abby created a beautiful
garden like entrance. The dancers at the ball hosted
by Baron Niccolo.

Parts of the event were filmed by Outdoor Idaho.  They
plan to use it in a segment in December during a time
they call "mini-pledge."  It will be part of an
hour-long episode called Disovering the Past.  As I
worked at IPTV for 6 years, the producer and
videographer were friends of mine.  If I can secure
the good wares of some skilled home brewer, I may be
able to get a copy of the "b-roll" footage (rough
footage that may or may not be used) in trade.

Again, these are just some of my views of the event,
as one in the crowd.

It would have been nice to see you again, and you are
in my prayers,

Lady Auraelia de Medici