[Artemisia] Planning events

tangl tangl at myway.com
Thu Jun 17 11:40:42 CDT 2004

 Well, anyone at the combined Circle probably knows my feelings on this one. I feel the magic happens because of people who go the extra mile to look authentic, including encampments, garb, food, etc. because they set the stage for the Magic to come by. These are the places where the Magic likes to linger. Uprising was the perfect time for this, especially this year! The light breeze blowing a cotehardie out behind a lady, with the backdrop of the horses in the field was one of those moments, and it didn't need firelight or predawn to make it more real. It happened in the afternoon. However, Magic likes smoke and mirrors, traditionally, and women always look their best when cast in firelight. As Myrgen the Grey notes, it's surprising women would ever allow themselves to be seen by any other light! Thus, that dancing firelight after dark when you're walking or standing just outside the encampment adds the smells of period to the atmosphere. That mix is primed for Magic moments, and I've had several, practically on demand, just because I know where the Magic likes to hang out. Bardics call for the the magic. Bards are inherantly gifted with that Magic within them, which is why their support and encouragement is so critical. To walk in the moonlight as the beckoning songs of a bardic circle draw the Magic close, you might accidentally experience one of those moments just by standing in the path outside the tent. Understanding the nature of the Magic is a lot like understanding the language of fabric. You cannot MAKE it happen, but you can tell the fabric/Magic what you want it to do and, if you are speaking the same language, it will accommodate you. This is why I write. When writing, I can select the imagery I wish to call forth, those elusive connections of words that inspire and command the mind to go into the dark corners to inspect the shadows, or to step into the sunbeams and be lifted by the gods to see the sky. I try to offer forth the skills of my mind to the Magic, asking it to come forth because of my oration. It has worked once or twice that I've been told of, one of which was the Oath I gave at my Pelican's Ceremony. I say, to learn the language of the Magic, hearken back to those times when it has happened to you. Then, drudge up those times YOU have made it happen for someone else. Compare the incidents and see what they had in common, for there is more than just the fact that ithey were Magic. Now, go forth and line yourselves up with the sun about to break through the clouds, then gift someone with a favor for something cool they were doing. Then, as if on cue, the sun will break through the clouds and POOF! Magic happens.Tanglbaby--- On Tue 06/15, Bruce Padget < bapadget at yahoo.com > wrote:From: Bruce Padget [mailto: bapadget at yahoo.com]To: artemisia at lists.gallowglass.orgDate: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 16:06:18 -0700 (PDT)Subject: [Artemisia] Planning eventsI don't know about you, but sometimes I see the SCA asa business, and our #1 product is memories. The topof the line are those "magic" moments. I won't try todefine them -- like being in love, you know whenyou're there. But, two questions:1. What time of day do you find magic times happenfor you?2. Do you find magic times usually happen duringscheduled happenings, or outside of them?Of course, there's an agenda here -- are our eventsmaking time for magic times?Regards,NiccoloAbbastanza Buon Non E Abbastanza Buonobapadget at yahoo.com_______________________________________________Artemisia mailing listArtemisia at lists.gallowglass.orghttp://lists.gallowglass.org/mailman/listinfo/artemisia