[Artemisia] Kingdom Traditions (Long)

Mary Hodges hodgemary at onewest.net
Mon Mar 8 15:37:35 CST 2004

snippety snip
Gefjon wrote:

> You're right in thinking that Courts at Uprising can be long, and I agree
> that many awards at an event such as that could be given elsewhere.  I still
> think that many of them should be announced in court, though.  At an event
> where things are spread large distances apart it's impossible to know what's
> happening in various different areas.  Court is the one place where people
> with many different interests are gathered, and so is a good opportunity to
> let everyone know the results of the various competitions.  (archery,
> equestrian, rapier, armored combat, arts & sciences, etc.)
>
> Gefjon

The following remarks apply to large events, especially those held
out-of-doors.

I don't remember who brought up the idea of a presentation court, but
it's a good idea.  That way, necessary attention is paid to stuff that
needs to be witnessed by the populace, and those who want to see prize
giving are also served.  Of course, having a presentation court as well
as regular court means some people will have another court to organize
and sit.

The idea of recognizing people for participating in an activity seems
very odd for a living history group.  One goes to events in order to
participate in a group experience of activities outside of mundane life,
not to receive rewards for showing up.  In other words, being at the
event in one's period clothing and engaging in activities that would
have been done by people in period is the point of living history.
Being there at the event and doing what people did in another time and
place is the reward.

The reading out of names of participants in activities in court is
decidedly non-period, unless one was either conspicuously heroic or
conspicuously dreadful.  I can't imagine the herald at a medieval court
reading out the names of the king's minstrels, for instance, unless the
king wanted them apprehended for some reason.

I am,
your obedient servant,
Jehane