[Artemisia] Kingdom Traditions (Long)

Sondra Gibson sgibson at edulog.com
Mon Mar 8 16:05:14 CST 2004

Jehane wrote:
> The reading out of names of participants in activities in court is
> decidedly non-period, unless one was either conspicuously heroic or
> conspicuously dreadful.  I can't imagine the herald at a
> medieval court
> reading out the names of the king's minstrels, for instance,
> unless the
> king wanted them apprehended for some reason.

I didn't suggest all participants names be read - just the winners of
particular honors.

As far as what is "period" or "non-period"  I'd guess that the many if not
the majority of things done at SCA courts are not the same as what would
have been done at "period" courts.  Of course we are covering a lot of time
periods and cultures here, and what was the norm for one, would probably not
be correct for another.  And many 'legal' types of things that would have
been done during our various time periods are not exactly things we can do
today.  On the other hand, in many ways our courts represent the will and
whims of our rulers, and THAT is very 'period'.  ;-)

If I am not mistaken, the original question concerned "Traditions" we have
held in the past.  In that vein one of our traditions has been the reading
of the "history" of an award when it is given.  (when it was created, by
whom, for what, and who the premier was)  That is a Tradition that I really
would like to see us keep.  We constantly have new members joining us, and
that is one way of helping them learn what our awards are, and who has
achieved what awards.

I don't feel that the wording is that important.  As with scroll texts, I
like to think of them as templates.  They say "Here are the important things
that need to be included"  The scribe or herald is then free to write or
read them in a format that pleases themselves, and the royalty giving the
award.

Gefjon