[Artemisia] Kingdom Traditions (Long)

Mary Hodges hodgemary at onewest.net
Mon Mar 8 16:47:10 CST 2004

Sondra Gibson wrote:

> Jehane wrote:
>
>>The reading out of names of participants in activities in court is
>>decidedly non-period, unless one was either conspicuously heroic or
>>conspicuously dreadful.  I can't imagine the herald at a
>>medieval court
>>reading out the names of the king's minstrels, for instance,
>>unless the
>>king wanted them apprehended for some reason.
>

> I didn't suggest all participants names be read - just the winners of
> particular honors.

I was writing to address the idea that some one brought up that people
need recognition for participating.

> As far as what is "period" or "non-period"  I'd guess that the many if not
> the majority of things done at SCA courts are not the same as what would
> have been done at "period" courts.  Of course we are covering a lot of time
> periods and cultures here, and what was the norm for one, would probably not
> be correct for another.  And many 'legal' types of things that would have
> been done during our various time periods are not exactly things we can do
> today.  On the other hand, in many ways our courts represent the will and
> whims of our rulers, and THAT is very 'period'.  ;-)

If that were true, I would think that at least one monarch would have
put a stop to people who lengthen courts by hours for their own
purposes.  Monarchs are the ones who suffer most at ultra-long courts.
I am always impressed by the kindliness and restraint of said monarchs.

Jehane

(rest snipped for brevity)