[Artemisia] Kingdom Traditions (Long)

Mary Hodges hodgemary at onewest.net
Mon Mar 8 17:48:54 CST 2004

Sondra Gibson wrote:

(Jehane quote snipped)

> Well, I have been attending courts for 16 years, and I don't recall one
> where someone lengthened it for hours for their own purposes.  I have seen
> things take place that some people were not interested in, but the King and
> Queen or Baron and Baroness *do* have the final say as to what will take
> place in *their* court.  They can instruct their Herald as to what they do
> and don't want to have take place at court.   Royalty and the Baronages
> *expect* to have to sit courts, and the majority of them know full well that
> there will be times that those courts may be lengthy.  And when you actually
> think about it, those *in* the thrones get to *sit*.  The hard working
> Herald, and attendants behind the thrones are often on their feet the whole
> time.  THEY are the ones who have *my* sympathy (and thanks!)

In sixteen years of court, you have never heard any one get up and talk
about some contest for fifteen minutes, followed by four or five more
people who wanted to make sure that their activity was (heaven forfend)
not overlooked?

> One of the biggest joys of sitting a throne is having the opportunity to
> recognize deserving people with various awards, and see the surprise and
> happiness on their faces.

Prizes for contests at large outdoor events is what I want to discuss.
Awards are in a different category.

> Major awards (Peerages in particular) deserve the time that they take.  It
> used to be that only the Knights had longish, personalized ceremonies.  We
> have progressed to a point where all the Peerages have nice memorable
> ceremonies.

see above and my earlier post about awards

>But - there are those who for various reasons will never attain
> a Peerage.

I have often seen monarchs publicly and appropriately thank people for
their efforts.  Winning and/or placing in a contest is not the same as
contributing time and effort to the smooth running of an event, or
service to a ruler or the kingdom.  It is prize-givings for contests at
large outdoor events that I want to see done at some other time and/or
place than formal court.

Frankly, if I'm not freezing or frying, years of training in academia
have enabled me to tolerate far more boring things than the longest
court, yea, verily, and even to look interested and ask intelligent
questions.  I only want to talk about *large outdoor events*, where
there are lots of contests, lots of prizes to be given out, and only so
much court time.  I am arguing for using court time for awards, kingdom
law, and ceremonies, and against using court time to hand out prizes.

  They too deserve recognition for their achievements, which is
> why I favor acknowledging those who have won various contests, and why I
> don't begrudge those running the contests the time it takes to acknowledge
> their winners.

What is wrong with doing that at a presentation court?

Jehane