[Artemisia] Kingdom Traditions

tangl tangl at myway.com
Mon Mar 8 21:39:45 CST 2004

 On the subject of awarding prizes: I've autocratted 49 events. It's my recommendation to autocrats or tourney-crats to award the prizes at the time of the tourney's conclusion if possible. That way, people who need to bag out to go to work or something still get their giftie! On the subject of basket exchanges: Mistress Caryn and Duke Sean, when they were on the thrones, had private audiences for the giving of gifties, either to folks or from folks. This was a great way to expidite Court because it streamlined the process to just the stuff folks were really attending Court for: the Pagentry of Award Giving. Yeah, it's nice to know who won what, but we're really there to watch Jean-Richard get an Award after 18 years of service to the kingdom, or to see Baron Tryggvi get his Knighthood. We're there for the interpersonal relationships and the kudos that are well deserved. On of the coolest things for a new person to see is someone who was especially nice to then during the day at their first event getting an Award for being cool to folks. It's one of the best parts of being in the SCA, knowing that what you do is appreciated. Too often in the outside world, we go unnoticed or underappreciated. The SCA salves that wound. On the subject of traditions: We have gone away from the ancient tradition of sticking to one script for a (fill-in-the-blank), and I really, really like that. Artemisia is festooned with creative folks who use their humor and dignity and knowledge to create scrolls that reflect the recipient as well at the royalty and the group giving that recognition. I think that is totally cool! I like the fact that each ceremony is different, especially for peerages. The peer gets to decide the specs. I also like that vigils have really caught on, but that's mostly for my own insidious purposes... >;D On the subject of Sumptory Laws: I would like a complete list on the kingdom website of our sumptory laws. Atenveldt had the trdition that only royal peers can wear their arms as a cloak. I think we have kept that one, but do we want to have others able to do so as well, like anyone with an AoA or Grant? Is the law regarding the wearing of ermine still in place form Aten? It used to be that B&B's could wear one row of ermine, Viscouties wore two, Couties wore three, Ducals wore four, P&P's wore five and K&Q's wore six. Is that still true of Artemisia? I'll let you know more as I think of stuff. It's not like I'm likely to stop talking or anything! ;) Tanglbaby